Author Topic: System app of Samsung being detected as malware  (Read 3089 times)

Offline The_Eagle_007

System app of Samsung being detected as malware
« on: May 04, 2023, 05:19:28 PM »
Storage booster app of Samsung is getting detected as malware by Avast. Which cannot be removed or even disabled as suggested by Avast AV. So facing constant result as malware detected click to resolve. But virustotal mobile app showing no detection over virustotal. Is it false positive ? Raised this issue over avast support an a ticket has been opened. Also provided screenshots in this regard.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2023, 05:23:40 PM by The_Eagle_007 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: System app of Samsung being detected as malware
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2023, 05:51:25 PM »
Not sure where you reported it -  Reporting a Possible False Positive File or Website - https://www.avast.com/false-positive-file-form.php.
You should get a response in a day or two.

If you didn't use this link try it and I would suggest giving the url for this topic.

I have two Samsung phones and 1 Tablet - but I'm not using the Storage Booster app as I don't really have any storage issues  - I assume this hasn't been a problem if you have been using the Storage Booster app and Avast Mobile Security for Android previously  ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free  24.8.6127 (build 24.8.9372.862) UI 1.0.814/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline The_Eagle_007

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2023, 06:29:09 PM »
How can I submit an apk or file if I don't have any. There is no url which needs to be submitted. Its a system app of my samsung device which is marked as malicious and thus I opened a ticket for it informing the avast team about it.

Offline The_Eagle_007

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2023, 06:41:06 PM »
Okay I reported over that web page and provided the screenshots as I did'nt have apk file with me also provided the case number which has another screenshot of virustotal app which shows MD5 hash of that apk. Is there someone person from avast look into this matter. Waiting for their reply to this post.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2023, 08:35:19 PM »
How can I submit an apk or file if I don't have any. There is no url which needs to be submitted. Its a system app of my samsung device which is marked as malicious and thus I opened a ticket for it informing the avast team about it.

Providing the URL to the api location as in the screenshot2 and the Detection ID, should hopefully be enough for them to investigate. 

Okay I reported over that web page and provided the screenshots as I did'nt have apk file with me also provided the case number which has another screenshot of virustotal app which shows MD5 hash of that apk. Is there someone person from avast look into this matter. Waiting for their reply to this post.

This is why I usually suggest giving the URL of your topic in the Avast Forum in the remarks when reporting the possible false positive - as this contains much more information that you would give in the reporting a possible fp.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free  24.8.6127 (build 24.8.9372.862) UI 1.0.814/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline hannon31

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2023, 06:23:01 AM »
I just got this message today after updating my Avast mobile :

Malware Detected
Media Storage contains Malware that could harm your device. It is installed in the system partition and cannot be uninstalled. Instead, you must deactivate the app from system settings. Detection ID: 069d6c2ac8d6

Has this been confirmed to be a false positive, as others have mentioned ? Has this ever been resolved ?

I'm using Moto G Play Android version 10 Mobile Phone.

Thanks !