Author Topic: Avast Premium Secutiry Custom Scan not running  (Read 1672 times)

Offline J2roc

Avast Premium Secutiry Custom Scan not running
« on: May 03, 2023, 07:36:15 PM »
I am running Avast Premium Security 23.3.6058 (build 23.3.8047.782) on a Windows 10 system.

I have used some form of Avast AV software for about 15+ years now. Over this time, I have always set up a Custom Scan to run on Sunday evenings. I schedule it to run at a time the computer is on. I have not had any problems with this except that I have noticed that the scans do not quite start at the scheduled time. I was told, on this forum, that it was a known glitch with Custom Scans.

I just checked the Scan history to see what was there, and much to my surprise I find that the Custom weekly scan has simply not run at all in the past year, at least. There is nothing in the scan log but some Explorer scans. Previously, I would see the weekly Full Virus scans listed. Perhaps, it has never run after I "upgraded" to APS from Premium Security.

In any case, I would like to know why the scan does not run at all and what I can do to fix it.

Thanks

Offline J2roc

Re: Avast Premium Secutiry Custom Scan not running
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2023, 01:05:39 AM »
Found this via Google

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=235332.0

Will try it out. If there are other solutions, I would greatly appreciate hearing them.

thanks

Offline J2roc

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2023, 06:00:03 PM »
No luck yet.

I put in a ticket, and a remote tech "fixed" the problem. The daily Quick Scan and the Weekly Full Virus Scan ran as scheduled -- once! Since then, nothing.

Got to a tech again and he says it has to be escalated to a senior team.

Just wondering .... does no one run scheduled scans?

Offline Rundvleeskroket

• Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2023, 06:46:37 PM »
Just wondering .... does no one run scheduled scans?

Very few people I would guess. If you've done a full scan once, and then every new or changed file on your PC is checked by File Shield, that pretty much negates the need for scheduled scans.

Offline J2roc

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2023, 12:09:28 AM »
Thanks for the response.

As a very old user, I simply upgraded my way and rarely looked in detail about the changes and improvements in the product. I can see why scheduled scans would go away once one had real time protections via the shields -- all of which are up in my case.

I guess I will just manually run an occasional "Full Virus Scan" for old times sake .... but forget worrying about regular, scheduled scans.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2023, 03:31:08 AM »
Thanks for the response.

As a very old user, I simply upgraded my way and rarely looked in detail about the changes and improvements in the product. I can see why scheduled scans would go away once one had real time protections via the shields -- all of which are up in my case.

I guess I will just manually run an occasional "Full Virus Scan" for old times sake .... but forget worrying about regular, scheduled scans.

That's all I've done for years.  ;)

Offline Rundvleeskroket

• Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2023, 08:42:55 AM »
Well, I do think that if Avast offers scheduled scans, and you set one, it should actually do them.

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2023, 05:53:51 PM »
Well, I do think that if Avast offers scheduled scans, and you set one, it should actually do them.

I agree however I was not speaking to whether it should work once scheduled, I was simply speaking to whether it's needed at all. :)