Author Topic: Detect/delete certain files?  (Read 5207 times)

Moonbarker

Detect/delete certain files?
« on: January 05, 2008, 04:52:26 PM »
Is it possible for Avast to automatically detect and delete a certain filename?  If so, I'd like to set it to do just that to thumbs.db  Also if so, would it delete only when a scan is run?  Or can it delete when a thumbs.db is in an archive file that's being downloaded?  If not, will it automatically detect and delete after the archive is unpacked?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Detect/delete certain files?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 05:58:49 PM »
Two no's:
1. avast can't automatically delete a file (even infected) in Home version.
2. avast will only automatically delete something if it is infected in the Professional version, if you set so.
The best things in life are free.

mcastrodale

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 06:03:56 PM »
Is it possible for Avast to automatically detect and delete a certain filename?  If so, I'd like to set it to do just that to thumbs.db  Also if so, would it delete only when a scan is run?  Or can it delete when a thumbs.db is in an archive file that's being downloaded?  If not, will it automatically detect and delete after the archive is unpacked?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 06:10:30 PM »

You're only quoting ???

mcastrodale

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 06:12:22 PM »
I have the free home version and found a trojan, but cannot delete or move to chest..says access denied, and unable.I feel like I am wasting  my time

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 06:14:04 PM »
I have the free home version and found a trojan, but cannot delete or move to chest..says access denied, and unable.I feel like I am wasting  my time
Are you using Windows XP/Vista?
Can you schedule a boot-time scanning?
Start avast! > Right click the skin > Schedule a boot-time scanning.
Select for scanning archives.
Boot.
If infected files are found, it's safer to send them to Chest instead of deleting them.
This way you can further analysis them.

Offline Bluesman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Amiga Power!
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 01:44:53 AM »
I feel like I am wasting  my time

Why? You are not wasting your time!

Instead, use your time to read Techs post, and answer his post, and do what he said! :)

Good luck!
"The blues are the roots, everything else is the fruits" -Willie Dixon

Moonbarker

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 02:38:43 AM »
Two no's:
1. avast can't automatically delete a file (even infected) in Home version.
2. avast will only automatically delete something if it is infected in the Professional version, if you set so.

Oh well, thanx anyway.  Can it at least detect a specific filename?

Are you using Windows XP/Vista?
Can you schedule a boot-time scanning?
Start avast! > Right click the skin > Schedule a boot-time scanning.
Select for scanning archives.
Boot.
If infected files are found, it's safer to send them to Chest instead of deleting them.
This way you can further analysis them.

I get the same thing with the F:\System Volume Information_restore{insert rest of path here on both (f:\ is my external HD)  I tell it to delete/delete all and when the scan is done, I get a bunch of cannot access in F:\System Volume Information_restore{insert rest of path here  This does not happen with C:\System Volume Information_restore{insert rest of path here

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008, 06:21:52 PM »
Can it at least detect a specific filename?
Detect? avast is an antivirus and will scan the files it is set so. Generally, open/created/modified files that are listed in the default extension list to be scanned.
If the file you're talking about is on the list, it will be scanned (not deleted).
Besides, as far I know, *.db is not on the extension list. You should manually add it.

I get a bunch of cannot access in F:\System Volume Information_restore
What if you set that these files are deleted on 'next boot'. This option should be appear when you ask to delete the file.

Moonbarker

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2008, 02:50:01 AM »
OK, thanx for the info

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2008, 12:58:34 PM »
OK, thanx for the info
You're welcome. Feel free to come back any time you need help you just to change experiences 8)

Moonbarker

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2008, 12:45:24 PM »
"Besides, as far I know, *.db is not on the extension list. You should manually add it"

Where is that extention list?  I looked through settings and couldn't find it

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2008, 12:59:33 PM »
Hope the picture talks for itself.

Moonbarker

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2008, 05:58:12 AM »
Thanx, but where do I find that window?  I don't see on access scanner listed in either the main or settings menus and searching Help didn't find anything either.

Just to be sure, once I do put .db in those two fields, Avast 'll tell me if it detects that extention instead of just scanning the file, right?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2008, 01:14:29 PM »
Thanx, but where do I find that window?  I don't see on access scanner listed in either the main or settings menus and searching Help didn't find anything either.
Left click the 'a' blue icon. Click Details button (if needed).

Just to be sure, once I do put .db in those two fields, Avast 'll tell me if it detects that extention instead of just scanning the file, right?
Not instead of scanning. Putting the extension on that list will make avast scanning it. Look, avast does not detect, it scans. If the file is infected, avast detect the infection, not the presence of the file. You need to find a file monitor like http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/FileAndDisk/Filemon.mspx