Author Topic: Duplicate finder - can it check smaller size files?  (Read 1673 times)

Offline John421

Duplicate finder - can it check smaller size files?
« on: August 02, 2023, 06:37:14 PM »
I recently got Avast One for Mac. Duplicate finder has been great so far, but it only flags files that are 500KB or more. Can I get it to de-dupe smaller files, too?

Offline jakub.bednar

• Avast team
Re: Duplicate finder - can it check smaller size files?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2023, 08:34:44 AM »
Hello John,

in the latest version 23.7.1 we have added more settings for Duplicate Finder. You can find them in our Preferences (CMD + ,). There is an option to consider also files that are 16KB of size.

If you would need even smaller files, there is an option how to set it up, bot not from UI and it would require manually changing our configuration files. The file is stored in "~/Library/Application Support/Avast/conf/dupfinder.conf" and is created only when you set a non-default option. I will not go any further as manually changing the config files is at your own risk.

One note to mention, selecting smaller file size will lead to the entire algorithm taking potentially way longer and using more memory, depending on the amount of files it has to consider/compare.

Kind regards,

Jakub