Author Topic: Smart Scan - Data Execution Prevention recommendation  (Read 3514 times)

Offline TheOwner

• Poster
Smart Scan - Data Execution Prevention recommendation
« on: August 27, 2023, 07:53:17 AM »
Hi,

Smart Scan recommending me turn on "Data Execution Prevention". I use default settings in Windows so not all options are enabled.

I think it has some reason, because it can probably cause problems.

What exactly this recommendation change? What problems it can create?

There should be more deeply explained what this "Avast fix" do and what it can cause.

Windows 10 22h2 64bit
Avast Free 23.8.

Offline Nom

Re: Smart Scan - Data Execution Prevention recommendation
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2023, 03:51:11 AM »
Don't pay much attention to SmartScan.
You may not have DEP fully enabled. Yes, this reduces security, but if you turn on DEP completely, unstable operation of some applications is possible.
Run cmd as the administrator and run the command:
wmic OS Get DataExecutionPrevention_SupportPolicy
If the answer is:
0 – DEP is disabled for all processes.
1 – DEP is enabled for all processes.
2 – DEP is enabled for only Windows system components and services. (Default)
3 – DEP is enabled for all processes.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2023, 11:11:43 AM by Nom »

Offline TheOwner

• Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2023, 06:46:23 PM »
If it can cause problems, it should not be recommended by Smart Scan.

Offline Nom

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2023, 04:29:31 AM »
Avast recommends something that improves security. Problems are possible with older applications. And old applications are known to reduce security. If they have already started blocking the old drivers, then what can we say about applications. They are not interested in old applications. Outdated software is an enemy of security, but many users need it.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2023, 10:53:37 AM »

You appear to have completely disabled DEP, when the Default is just for Windows system components and services. (as Nom mentioned). 

I'm sure that the Smart Scan wouldn't be mentioning DEP at all if it were on that Default setting.
I have to say I'm somewhat surprised you even run the Smart Scan.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.6.6121 (build 24.6.9241.848) UI 1.0.809/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Nom

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2023, 12:17:18 PM »
The word "smart" is confusing for beginners. Everyone thinks that "smart" is cool and powerful. I also launched it once.  ;D In fact, boot scanning is cool and powerful. And smart scan gives only recommendations for improving security. You need to understand what it is, why and what will come of it. These measures will make someone better, and someone worse. Some may be erroneous. There was already such a question in the Russian topic. The person had DEP enabled by default, but smartscan issued a similar warning.
For example. Here I have avast counted 37 old drivers. And claims that this leads to performance problems. But I have old hardware and, accordingly, an old operating system. If I install new software, I will really have performance problems. In addition, my old drivers have been working stably for many years. Where is the guarantee that there are no new bugs and vulnerabilities in the new drivers? And where is the guarantee that new drivers improve performance? In life, the new is not always better than the old. Everything has its pros and cons. As an experienced engineer, I understand this well. But marketers say that the new is always better, even if it is worse.  ;D To buy new hardware and software just for avast to tell me that I'm perfect man, I think it's stupid.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 30, 2023, 01:40:11 PM by Nom »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2023, 02:23:58 PM »
@    Nom
I generally prefix it with (Not So) Smart Scan.

I generally only run a not so Smart Scan as a result of a question in the forums.

Why, for the most part it isn't telling me anything that I don't already know about and either have it covered or I'm unconcerned by it.  However, for the most part I find it a vehicle for promoting other Avast paid products.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.6.6121 (build 24.6.9241.848) UI 1.0.809/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Nom

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2023, 04:54:47 PM »
I absolutely agree. There is nothing interesting for me in SmartScan. And I also have thoughts about "not so". But someone may find his information useful for self-education.

Offline TheOwner

• Poster
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2023, 06:55:39 PM »

You appear to have completely disabled DEP, when the Default is just for Windows system components and services. (as Nom mentioned). 

I'm sure that the Smart Scan wouldn't be mentioning DEP at all if it were on that Default setting.
You are wrong, i use Windows default settings.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2023, 11:00:01 PM »
I believe I had the default settings for DEP (I can't recall ever having changed them) and I have never seen this.

You are wrong, i use Windows default settings.

I just checked and it is set to 2 (not the Default 3), I can't recall ever having changed them.

So that is clearly why I'm not getting it, apologies for the misinformation.

I will leave it that way for now, it certainly hasn't been an issue for me in that condition.

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2023, 03:45:19 PM »
What is the difference between 1 and 3?
The description for both is the same in Nom's reply#1 list above (or have I  missed something).

Offline Nom

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2023, 03:25:12 AM »

There is little written about it anywhere. If memory does not fail me, 1 - allows you to set exceptions for applications, 3 - does not allow.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2023, 03:27:04 AM by Nom »

Offline TheOwner

• Poster
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2023, 06:59:09 PM »
There are only 2 options, partially enabled (default) and fully enabled. No option turn it off.

Offline Nom

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2023, 03:05:28 AM »
There are only 2 options, partially enabled (default) and fully enabled. No option turn it off.

bcdedit.exe/set {current} nx AlwaysOff

Offline waking

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2023, 01:56:06 AM »

There is little written about it anywhere. If memory does not fail me, 1 - allows you to set exceptions for applications, 3 - does not allow.

It's the other way around:

See:

How to determine that hardware DEP is available
and configured on your computer

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-client/performance/determine-hardware-dep-available