Author Topic: Update VRDB shuts down Avast  (Read 2130 times)

uesquebeathus

Update VRDB shuts down Avast
« on: January 06, 2008, 05:50:32 PM »
this morning on a friends computer, he had said it was running slow, i found the cursor to be a bit sticky. I tried to run Avast and it would not run, all 8 providers were running until I clicked Start Avast! Antivirus, then the Windows popup message showed, (all Pause Provider, Resume Provider,Stop Provider were all greyed out), then I tried to update the VRDB and it crashed Avast antivirus, all scanner tools were closed and I could not restart them except by restarting the computer. all 8 providers were running until then, but after clicking update VRDB, nothing, except a small red ring at the edge of the toolbar icon, after I restart the computer it looks ok but will not run a check for anything.
windows error popup message showed

runtime error
 program:c:\program files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
 this application has requested the runtime to terminate in an unusual way
Please contact the application's support team for more information

avast error log showed
application error 752 AAVM- scanning error: Aavm: FetchGlobalCounters cannot open mapping- server DOWN???,00000002

I have tried to restart through the Services and also to repair the installation but that did not help either.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Update VRDB shuts down Avast
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 06:05:19 PM »
We will need more information to be able to help you:
- Which OS are you using? Is it up to date?
- What avast! version?
- Do you use a firewall? Which one?
- Do you have any other antivirus installed in your system?  Did you have in the past?
- Any other security programs that could interfere?

Do you have any rootkit tool to scan your computer?
If you haven't already got this software (freeware), download, install, update and run it, preferably in safe mode. AVG anti-spyware or SUPERantispyware or Spyware Terminator.
Better, SuperAntispyware.
The best things in life are free.

uesquebeathus

Re: Update VRDB shuts down Avast
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 10:32:49 PM »
using up to date windows xp pro sp2 plus all updates installed , firewall from V-Com Systemsuite Ver 8 since October, problem started on friday I was told about it yesterday,Avast Ver 4.7 virus database 080106-0. 06/01/08, AVG-Anti-Rootkit, GFI Languard integrity monitor

I have also scanned with A-Squared, AVG, AVG Anti-Rootkit, GFI Languard Rootkit, Spybot S&D, all showing only cookies

the only software added recently was Power ISO