Author Topic: Unable to reinstall some programs after virus infection  (Read 1037 times)

Offline Carlos152

Unable to reinstall some programs after virus infection
« on: September 07, 2023, 12:21:59 AM »
A few weeks ago my system was infected by a slow infector type virus. Avast's startup scan option detected several infected program files that were deleted. Subsequently, I uninstalled the infected programs and used the Ccleaner registry cleaning tool, as well as a new boot scan with no virus results.

The problem arises when trying to reinstall these programs:
- Discord
- ASCOM (a software for the use of telescopes)

In the case of Discord, the program installs but does not start. In the case of ASCOM, this error appears during installation:

I've been trying to find a solution for several days without success. Please, any help is welcome. Thank you so much!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2023, 10:47:46 PM by Carlos152 »

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
Re: Unable to reinstall some programs after virus infection
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2023, 03:11:37 PM »
Some do not like to visit 3rd party sites to view images.
It is always best to attach images/screenshots direct to your post. Just click the "Attachments and other options" link below the reply text box.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2023, 06:09:05 PM »
See attached on attaching images to posts.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Carlos152

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2023, 10:48:56 PM »
Attached image, thanks for the advice

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2023, 11:21:38 PM »
You're welcome, if only I could help with the problem.

Have you tried googling the error message not so much the full domain name but just the  AscomMasterInterface.tlb missing

This was the first hit https://github.com/ASCOMInitiative/ASCOMPlatform/issues/19 of all of the path in your image - https://github.com/ASCOMInitiative/ASCOMPlatform/issues/19 - I'm sure you could refine that search.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Nom

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2023, 04:50:32 AM »
Perhaps you are using CCleaner for nothing. Often it harms the system worse than a virus.
I can assume that something is wrong with the access rights to the folder in which the program is installed.
It would be good to completely delete all the program folders before installing again.
Look at her folders in the following places:
Program Files, Program Files86, ProgramData, C:\Users\User name\AppData\Local, C:\Users\User name\AppData\LocalLow, C:\Users\User name\AppData\Roaming.
In the registry, look for the branch from the program in the following place:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software
Probably these are not all the places where the program files are located, but it may be enough for a successful reinstallation.
It is also necessary to check the folder that is specified in the error message.
It would be nice to know which files were deleted when cleaning from malware. Maybe there were dependencies.
System files may be corrupted after infection. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system-files-79aa86cb-ca52-166a-92a3-966e85d4094e
The easiest way is to roll back the system to the date before infection, if possible.

P.s. I have been a lover of astronomy since childhood. Space is my home. But I have not used such programs.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2023, 05:23:14 AM by Nom »