Author Topic: Avast Free: "Virus definitions are not up to date"  (Read 9262 times)

Offline info230

Re: Avast Free: "Virus definitions are not up to date"
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2023, 03:49:06 PM »
DavidR,   i have read 3 and 9,  i do struggle with thios stuff,  so not a techy typ

I have Avast premium security,

This is what the interface says it is currently running  ---

23.10.6086 (build 23.10.8563.808)

Virus Definition 231112-0

Number of definitons   18,723,243

UI version    1.0.786

Enable streaming updates has the green tick to say it's enabled yet I am being told Virus definitions are not up to date.  I enabled update them manually but no prompts to do this and csnnot see where I would start this.   I appreciate your replies but I am still none the wiser on how to sort this or what to do to update the virus definitions. .
« Last Edit: November 22, 2023, 03:53:03 PM by info230 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2023, 05:38:19 PM »
@ info230
Firstly your program version is not the latest - 23.11.6090 (build 23.11.8635.809) - so before checking anything else I would suggest you do a program update.

That will require a system restart (and will ask for one).

Then do another About Avast check as that too may also have updated the Virus Definitions.
Mine reports the VPS version as 231122-0  That is in YYMMDD format, Year, Month, Day and -0  (denotes the increments since the VPS update).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline info230

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2023, 08:32:53 PM »
Thanks for your reply,     how do I do a program update,   I know I'm coming across as a bit needy but honestly, I struggle with this stuff.  I have never gelled easily with doing this stuff on computors but I know it needs to be done.    I searched the net for the term how to do program update for Avast premium and all Icould find was the tutorials how to do virus definition update in the interface but that isnt working as already tried that

The only other thing I found was this in the link on the Avast web pages to update Avast VPS,  I looked up what VPS means,  I dont understand what that is so didnt download it,

https://www.avast.com/download-update#pc

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2023, 09:24:41 PM »
Right click the Avast Tray icon, Update > Program.

See attached image, click to expand
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline info230

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2023, 09:47:47 PM »
@DavidR,   thank you so much,  I wasnt aware a right click would brig that menu with update in the list.  Now I know where that is I'll be fine.  Will report back once done,   will be tomorrow now.   

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2023, 12:35:10 AM »
You're welcome.

Offline Nunzio77

• Poster
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2023, 08:41:02 AM »
Avast Free: "Virus definitions are not up to date"

This warning in red  is displayed in Update Settings JUST AFTER a virus definitions update.

The Avast icon in the system tray may also continue to show a red spot after a virus definitions update.

Regardless of the streaming updates, but has it been resolved with the new version?
Thank you and good day!
Nunzio
----------------------------
Avast Free - Windows 10 Pro-32 Bit, Intel Core2 Duo CPU T7500, RAM 4 Gb, SDD 512 Gb, ATI Mobile Radeon HD 2400 - Avast Mobile Security Free - Smartphone Android

Offline info230

« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2023, 02:31:10 PM »
Right click the Avast Tray icon, Update > Program.

See attached image, click to expand

I didnt realise that right click on the tray icon then update would take me to the same page on the interface where you check for updates,  I thought it might have been a different. Anyway,   I ran the update tab,  it ran the checks for latest updates and it came up with telling me the version I havr is up to date and didnt offer any other update.  I then re ran check for virus definition updates on the same page and that done the same again,   that ended and just kept with the same in Red that my virus definitions are out of date.  I've done as you suggested and it's not doing anything.   

The other thing,   when I click on the task bar icon to initially open up the interface,  it is taking so long to load.

I might write in to the avast team on the account page and open a case to ask them. 

Thanks.,

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2023, 02:49:37 PM »
The problem is trying to track down intermittent issues like this if everyone isn't experiencing it.

If you right click on the Avast Tray icon and select Open Avast User Interface is that any quicker  ?
All of these options/shortcuts are there to speed things up. 
For me to open the Avast UI, takes about 2-3 seconds, using the right click shortcut it is quicker for me.

I use a laptop as my main system and rarely actually shut it down outside of windows and certain program updates (Avast being one).  If you don't regularly shutdown/power of your computer I would first try that and then check for updates again and report back.

Offline info230

« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2023, 03:04:31 PM »
The problem is trying to track down intermittent issues like this if everyone isn't experiencing it.

If you right click on the Avast Tray icon and select Open Avast User Interface is that any quicker  ?
All of these options/shortcuts are there to speed things up. 
For me to open the Avast UI, takes about 2-3 seconds, using the right click shortcut it is quicker for me.

I use a laptop as my main system and rarely actually shut it down outside of windows and certain program updates (Avast being one).  If you don't regularly shutdown/power of your computer I would first try that and then check for updates again and report back.

If I right click on the tray icon then open,  it still takes ages to open.  I use a laptop for internet,  i shut it down everytime I have done what I needed. I dont use the laptop for my main work  it's only for e mails,  banking and social stuff.   

I read some other stuff,   so went to settings,  Apps,  uninstall,  then clicked repair,  it ran that and completed.  The other thing I foud was after I uninstall,   the box with options inc;luding repair had an update version,  I clicked that and a box opened with a progress bar but nothing moved for ages but then I acidently closed it on the task bar.    As that opened up and starting running,   would that be the program update I would need to run to get a later version than I have.    As I said, the interface said my program was upo to date.  Is it worth doing the uninstall then click 'update' when the options pop up.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2023, 03:32:25 PM »
Unless you have changed the laptop settings, closing the lid may not actually power it down but go into a standby state.

I was going to suggest a Repair, though given what you said I'm not entirely sure it completed successfully.  But, yes you could try the Update option.

Offline info230

« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2023, 09:09:44 PM »
Unless you have changed the laptop settings, closing the lid may not actually power it down but go into a standby state.

I was going to suggest a Repair, though given what you said I'm not entirely sure it completed successfully.  But, yes you could try the Update option.

When I am done with my laptop I dont just shut the lid, I always shut it down properly.     

As nothing else seems to have worked, tomorrow I will do the update   Settings  >  Uninstall then click the update option,  I presume that will give me the latest version to then hopefuly have updated virus definitions to be covered by any future viruses although I am careful.  By doing the update this way,  will it over ride and delete the existing/current Avast program that is on my laptop. 

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2023, 10:43:11 PM »
You would need to check your Windows Power and Sleep settings > Related Settings > Additional Power Settings > Choose what closing the lid does.

See attached image of mine (Windows 10) I have mine set to essentially turn off the display as I use if frequently so I don't want it to fully power off and have to wait for system restart and logon if I shut it down completely.

The Update should do just that, Update the existing Program.

If you have made any changes you would be best to export/save those settings.  These can be imported later from the saved location.

Offline info230

« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2023, 09:20:23 AM »
OK, I'll do that update in a bit when have done with the e mail stuff.   I hope i'm doing the right thing,   it's easy to follow prompts without knowing what is exactly happening or going to happen lol.   I dont think I made any changes to be saved.

When I'm done with each short time I';m on my laptop I power it right off then when need it again later in the day,  it boots up and I log on with password,  I never shut the lid and leave it although I do have battery saving time set etc in case I have to go do somethng else midway.     

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2023, 11:55:24 AM »
After a successfully program update Avast should request a system restart so that the changes in the update can be applied.  That can't happen whilst they are actually running.

I never leave my laptop open when not in use dust and possible screen damage being my main concern, but I don't want it powering down/switching off as restarts take a longer time and it is in frequent use. 

Your settings should essentially reflect your use (which is why I mentioned it) and that appears to be the case.