Author Topic: Avast Free: "Virus definitions are not up to date"  (Read 7596 times)

Offline info230

Re: Avast Free: "Virus definitions are not up to date"
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2023, 09:34:41 PM »
@Nunzio,    there is definitely a problem but I have not read any official release that there is an issue.  I am not getting updates even though my interface is set to receive them automatically and as what is written on the page in the link I attached,  I am not getting the new version when it is released.  For now I wait until the Avast icon in the task bar tells me I am not protected due to virus definitions are out of date.  I will use the page in the link to update the 19+ version updates. That is working to solve it quickly without having to mess about with total uninstalls.           

Offline Nunzio77

• Poster
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2023, 09:04:28 AM »
In my opinion, it could be that after starting the PC, the automatic definition update script does not start after a few minutes. In fact the update occurs after a few hours. So if a PC is not used for a few days, the Windows Security Center warning will also appear and the red X on the Avast icon in the taskbar warning that the AV is not updated.
This will last for a long time until you update the definitions automatically (after a few hours) or manually.

@Avast staff: can you verify that this is the case and resolve it?
Thank you and good day!
Nunzio
----------------------------
Avast Free - Windows 10 Pro-32 Bit, Intel Core2 Duo CPU T7500, RAM 4 Gb, SDD 512 Gb, ATI Mobile Radeon HD 2400 - Avast Mobile Security Free - Smartphone Android

Offline info230

« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2023, 09:30:59 AM »
@Nunzio77,    That could be the case that it takes a few hours for the virus definitions to automatically update.   I only use my laptop for about an hour or so each time during the day and in the evening it is on for 2-3 hours at the most,  even then,  the updates do not happen automatically in the time frame I am using it.   I have had to do it manually,  the first two times were a full uninstall then clean re load the program then by the link I added in my previous post which was pretty much instant with no restart required.    I will carry on using that link to update 19+ as I feel it will happen again until such time whatever is causing this is resolved,   It took a week for the red cross on the task bar icon to reappear.    Currently,   the virus definition my interface is telling me it's running is version 231204-0,  last week it was 231113-2.

Offline Nunzio77

• Poster
« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2023, 10:21:00 AM »
The signature update issue still persists.
Here is a new example image.
As a release date it says December 8, 2023 but the detail is version 231207-2 therefore elative to December 7.
After keeping the PC turned on for more than 30 minutes the signatures have not updated, therefore the update after starting the PC does not work or in any case the alignment of the update date with the definitions is not correct.

Fix the bug.
It wasn't like that before.

Thank you and good day!
Nunzio
Avast Free - Windows 10 Pro-32 Bit, Intel Core2 Duo CPU T7500, RAM 4 Gb, SDD 512 Gb, ATI Mobile Radeon HD 2400 - Avast Mobile Security Free - Smartphone Android

Offline info230

« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2023, 09:51:04 PM »
Nunzio77,    This is odd.  I used the link I added from the Avast update page and used the 19+ download to get latest update. The release date I have is also 8th December,   but my version number is 231208-0.   My updates still have not been woring when I start up.

I had a reply in another thread,   it was suggested to see if turning off windows fast start up option may make the automatic updates work.  I didnt know about this,  my laotop was set to windows fast start up,  my laptop was onkly going into a deeper hibernation mode rather than cold shut down.  Starting up from cold shut down is when updates happen so I gather.  I will see if my automatic updates actually work tomorrow now I have disabled fast start up.

See this thread in the link,    scroll down and read the post from Dinobot2 near the bottom,     describing a bit about fast start up option and disabling it might make the updates work. 

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=325646.0
« Last Edit: December 08, 2023, 09:55:43 PM by info230 »

Offline info230

« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2023, 08:40:04 PM »
It really does seem I have to update virus definitions from the avast update page as the interface  Menu > Settimgs . Update isnt doing this automatically. I do noit know how long my laoto should be on for the interface automatic update setting should take, I would hgave thought it woud be reasonably quick and maybe it should start checking for uodates as soo as my latop is powered up.  I have just udated VPS from the Avast update page,   have added the link again below.  When I done this yesterday I was on version 231208-0.      when I just checked after the update took effect it is now 9th December release and version 231209-4.

Given this,  to keep the virus definitions completely up to date I presume will have to do this daily from the page in the link as the interface is not doing this.  Going by the last couple of weeks,  the interface version stays the same until the Avast Icon in the task bar has a red cross telling my I am unprotected due to the virus definitions are not uo to date.

https://www.avast.com/download-update#pc

Offline Nunzio77

• Poster
« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2023, 09:53:38 AM »
I uninstalled and reinstalled Avast Free and yesterday I updated to the latest version.  For the moment I no longer see the red writing in the definitions which seem to be updating. 
So I suggest uninstalling Avast, doing a manual cleanup of both the registry and the remaining PC folders and reinstalling it again.
Thank you and good day!
Nunzio

Offline loungehake

• Dummy Half
  • Poster
  • Come on lad! You've only got 70 yards to go.
« Reply #52 on: December 18, 2023, 11:31:19 PM »
Has the bug fixing in version 23.12 eliminated this behaviour at last?
Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x64, Avast Free 24.5.6116, Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit, Malwarebytes Anti-Ransomware

Offline Nunzio77

• Poster
« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2023, 10:39:55 AM »
Has the bug fixing in version 23.12 eliminated this behaviour at last?

It appears to have been resolved.
Furthermore, in the Geek area I have reduced the time interval for checking updates from the standard 4 hours to 1 hour. Because in any case the impact during the update phase on my PC (even if a little old) is not relevant.

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=325571.0
« Last Edit: December 19, 2023, 10:41:31 AM by Nunzio77 »
Thank you and good day!
Nunzio