Author Topic: "Web threat secured" notification while using safari  (Read 1514 times)

Offline Adam141

"Web threat secured" notification while using safari
« on: September 30, 2023, 09:27:34 AM »
Hello, I am trying to figure out the cause of random "web threat secured" notifications popping up while using Safari and using the web shield. These notices appear at random times while Safari is open. They do not seem triggered by navigating to webpage. If I leave Safari open and wait, generally one will appear.

The notice is as follows:

We've blocked a threat URL:Phishing on https://www.hugedomains.com/favicon.ico from being downloaded.
Process: / System/Volumes/Preboot/Cryptexes/App/System/Applications/Safari.app/Contents/MacOS/Safari

I have run a deep scan. I looked for Safari exentensions (none). I also looked for suspicious applications. I tried turning off startup items. I also changed my wifi and extender password. Nothing seems to work.

Any help resolving this issue would be much appreciated.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2023, 10:00:15 AM by Adam141 »

Offline ondrej.kolacek

• Avast team
Re: "Web threat secured" notification while using safari
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2023, 09:03:15 AM »
Hello,
what is likely is that the browser has remembered that you have accessed this page, and when eg. opening new tab or writing into address bar, it access the page.
You can either clear your browser's history so that the browser forgets about the infected page, but it is also possible (and simpler) to mute further popups for this URL forever; this can be done from the popup itself.
Kind regards,
Ondrej Kolacek