Author Topic: Latest update caused conflict  (Read 2583 times)

wolvesjr34

Latest update caused conflict
« on: January 08, 2008, 03:38:45 AM »
Hi Guys  - something I've noticed with Avast... as much as I love the program is sometimes virus updates cause conflicts....

today I was trying to play Battlefield 2142 and then I tried Battlefield 2 - and I kept blue screening before getting in to the game... I did not notice that my definitions etc update right before I tried to play - so I tried everything... and what fixed my problem?  Uninstalling Avast....

This is a concern because now I have no protection, but am reluctant to reinstall Avast until I am sure the virus database updates don't conflict with my games.  If there is another way to prevent this I'd appreciate it.  My Graphics card is an EN8500GT Silent Magic, have an AMD dual core processor and a gigabyte series motherboard with 2 gig of ram.  Running Windows XP with service pack 2 and has all updates.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 03:41:38 AM by wolvesjr34 »

wolvesjr34

Re: Latest update caused conflict
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 04:15:33 AM »
NEVERMIND. NOT AVAST!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 01:15:34 PM »
What was messing your computer? Which program?
Welcome to avast forums.
The best things in life are free.

wolvesjr34

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 06:13:13 AM »
I thought it was a RAM thing... I pulled it out put in a 1 gig stick a friend had and games started working again - except now my Battlefield series (2 and 2142) games are incredibly slow to load maps for online play....

I bought a third stick of the same ram I had - fiddled around and it all seems to be working - I dunno if its my graphics card (but it plays all offline games fine, played battlefield 2 online fine without any issues once it loaded eventually) but was jumpy for Madden 2007 online and 2142 online.... I have no idea what is causing this....

the only odd thing that happened is the BIOS  and CMOS defaulted to safe mode - so I defaulted it back to optimised settings - but... still no luck....

I'm running out of ideas cos I am missing my fave games badly!  I cannot even load 2142 offline quickly... any help or ideas would be appreciated

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 12:57:25 PM »
Why don't you test your RAM?
www.memtest86.com
The best things in life are free.