Author Topic: Suspecious Message Warning  (Read 2735 times)

wildrose

Suspecious Message Warning
« on: January 08, 2008, 06:30:47 AM »
Hello All,

This is Wild Rose from India. I have installed Avast 4.7 Home Edition in my PC. But from last one week I am facing the following problem. As soon as I connect to Internet Avast start giving the alert messages ! for Suspicious messages. Some virus or trogen is trying to send continuous messages from my computer. I have updated the anti-virus and also run the boot time scanning, but still I am getting the same problem. What should I do to avoid this. Please help me out. I m in real trouble.  ???

with regards,

Wild Rose

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Suspecious Message Warning
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 01:28:41 PM »
If a virus is replicant (coming and coming again), you could follow the general cleaning procedure:

1. Disable System Restore on Windows ME, XP or Vista. System Restore cannot be disabled on Windows 9x and it's not available in Windows 2k. After boot you can enable System Restore again after step 3.

2. Clean your temporary files. You can use CleanUp or the Windows Advanced Care features for that.

3. Schedule a boot time scanning with avast again. Start avast! > Right click the skin > Schedule a boot-time scanning. Select for scanning archives. Boot. Other option is scanning in SafeMode (repeatedly press F8 while booting).

4. It will be good if you download, install, update and run AVG Antispyware. Some users recommend SUPERantispyware, Spyware Terminator and/or a-squared (take care about false positives).
If any infection is detected, better and safer is send the file to Quarantine than to simple delete than.

5. If you still detecting any strange behavior or even you're sure you're not clean, maybe it will be good to test your machine with anti-rootkit applications. I suggest AVG or Trend Micro RootkitBuster (for XP/Vista). For XP: Panda (for XP).

6. Also, if you still detecting strange behaviors or you want to be sure you're clean, maybe making a HijackThis log to post here and, specially, scan and submit to on-line analysis the RunScanner log would help to identify the problem and the solution.

7. After you're clean, use the immunization of SpywareBlaster or, which is better, the Windows Advanced Care features of spyware/adware cleaning and removal.

8. Finally, when you're clean, check for insecure applications with Secunia Software Inspector to update insecure applications and avoid reinfection.
The best things in life are free.

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 05:50:58 PM »
Hi welcome to the forum.

Please run the programs in the order I poted them.

Download and run this clean up utility. You can use it regularly. When it's first run, it is in demo mode to show you what it will remove. Review it and then rerun in real mode. It is configurable.

CleanUp

Download ComboFix from Here or Here to your Desktop.

Double click combofix.exe and follow the prompts.

When finished, it shall produce a log for you. Post that log and a HiJackthis log in your next reply
Note: Do not mouseclick combofix's window while its running. That may cause it to stall.

Click here to download HJTsetup.exe
  • Save HJTsetup.exe to your desktop.
  • Doubleclick on the HJTsetup.exe icon on your desktop.
  • By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Hijack This.
  • Continue to click Next in the setup dialogue boxes until you get to the Select Addition Tasks dialogue.
  • Put a check by Create a desktop icon then click Next again.
  • Continue to follow the rest of the prompts from there.
  • At the final dialogue box click Finish and it will launch Hijack This.
  • Click on the Do a system scan and save a logfile button. It will scan and the log should open in notepad.
  • Click on "Edit > Select All" then click on "Edit > Copy" to copy the entire contents of the log.
  • Come back here to this thread and Paste the log in your next reply.
  • DO NOT have Hijack This fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

wildrose

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 10:16:34 AM »
Hi all,

Still I am facing the same problem. One thing that I have observed is :

1. When I disable the Service Provider "Internet Mail" from the avast system tray menu. I stop getting the messages.

2. But as far as my knowledge is concern the virus is still there. Can anybody tell me the name of the virus as Avast dont describe the name?

with Regards,

Wild Rose

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 10:28:49 AM »
Well of course you are going to stop getting the warnings, you turned off what was notifying you that somthing was going on.

And I agree with you the virus is still there.

Couldn't tell you what the name is, as avast is just telling you your computer is sending a suspicious message.