Author Topic: is the scan bysmart scan a false positive  (Read 3476 times)

Offline jraju

• Poster
is the scan bysmart scan a false positive
« on: October 12, 2023, 08:58:31 AM »
Hi, I am a long user of avast free antivirus. the network inspector says the system has no vulnerability in its scan.
But smart scan did alert dns hijack. Of course, I had enabled google dns to my wifi adapter for a pc, in its ipv4 from my service provider bsnl.
Smart scan results show a dns hijacking vulnerability.
How the network scan and smart scan results can vary. is it false positive. please tell.
I know how to create support file for my system and I enclose the details here .
First i enabled debugging in troubleshooting in general settings, and ran the wifi inspector scan. it shows no vulnerability.
again, i have done the smart scan and created another support file by using avast support tool.
3FVKY with enabling debugging log files using wifi inspector scan
VSIXE  wih enabling debugging log files using smart scan.when the second
scan done, the debugging was done, which was already enabled for the first scan.I hope to get the clarification if it is false positive or not from the avast team.
the files have already been sent and ids are enclosed.

Offline Nunzio77

• Poster
Re: is the scan bysmart scan a false positive
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2023, 09:28:19 AM »
Maybe it's just a message to upgrade to the premium version or buy something like a VPN?  ;D ;D
Thank you and good day!
Nunzio
----------------------------
Avast Free - Windows 10 Pro-32 Bit, Intel Core2 Duo CPU T7500, RAM 4 Gb, SDD 512 Gb, ATI Mobile Radeon HD 2400 - Avast Mobile Security Free - Smartphone Android

Offline jraju

• Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2023, 11:15:30 AM »
I know about avast.  I do not think so. Let me wait reply from avast team

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2023, 11:53:55 AM »
I know about avast.  I do not think so. Let me wait reply from avast team

It is most likely a promotion for the Real Site product by Avast.

You can follow the Resolve All, it can't really resolve what is indicated on the screen other than offer the Real Site product which you can decline.  The Advanced Issues in Avast Free is more likely to be a promotion for a paid product.  However, possibility being reported is valid.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline jraju

• Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2023, 04:19:03 PM »
I have sent the support file to avast using avast support tool. I received a email from AVG that there is no subject matter in a mail received from me. I did mention the issue in the description part of the generation of support file to avast. Avast do not prompt me to send, it automatically create and send the support files . I mentioned the files name to avast team . I am yet to receive any replay from them regarding the false positive issue.dns hijack is related to network . network inspector did not prompt any dns hijack vulnerability in my scan. How my automated mail reached AVG, is only not known. If it is a promotional trick, then avast should not do by scaring people users who use the antivirus for long years.
Still I believe that I receive a kind of reply to my query. I also requested the AVG team to send the files to AVast for their analysis as avast team is different from avg. I do not know, how generated support files were auto forwarded to AVG instead of AVAST
« Last Edit: October 14, 2023, 04:23:40 PM by jraju »

Offline jraju

• Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2023, 08:38:57 AM »
why no reply from avast team in this forum thread.
Is it false positive or not
how my support has gone to the avg team, when i use avast support tool. is the same tool is used by avg also.
previously I used to get reply from avast staff on the issues raised on important topics as they can only access the support files.
still hope to get reply from avast team in this forum.

Offline Mr. Consumer

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2023, 08:03:41 PM »
Avast Real site feature makes your system use Avast DNS instead of your current DNS. I think calling this feature Real site is very misleading. It should give a better explanation and should never change users DNS without their permission. But then again, most users don't know what DNS is. So overall, I think this feature shouldn't exist at all.
Anyway, just ignore this message. As others have suggested, this is kind of an advertisement to try to make users buy Avast's paid products.

Offline jraju

• Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2023, 03:53:22 AM »
Avast Real site feature makes your system use Avast DNS instead of your current DNS.
Please say, if this is a separate component or is a feature of avast antivirus program. Because, i have not used this feature as a separate component installation. I will check on the concerned pc.
I have sent two support files to avast team, for which there has been no response here. Previously I used to get replies from Avast team on my pertinent questions . I have sent support files for any issue that is of general concern and used to get replies from avast team staff. But nowadays it is missing.

please confirm Mr. consumer, that it is included in avast antivirus or a sub component that could be uninstalled using repair.

Offline jraju

• Poster
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2023, 04:47:41 AM »
Hi, the real website is a feature of the paid version. I am using the free version.
Let me wait for reply from avast team staff or moderator of this sub forum.
This is the first time that i experienced no response from the avast team staff member . Moderator may please give his answer to the issue.
There is not even acknowledgement of receipt of support files sent to avast.

Offline jraju

• Poster
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2023, 03:48:21 PM »
hi, it is not a secret that there is geek:area, but i could not generate a report on the smart scan, as there is a single menu, clear all scan log files which is default set to Perform. So, you cannot create to see if there is any real issue or false positive.
However one tries to enable report, the clear log will be performed and only those logs of other scans could be viewed.
Avast team will not say if it is false positive or not.
you cannot see the logs yourself to understand something.
oh.great .

Offline jraju

• Poster
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2023, 06:53:36 AM »
Hi, Some one from avast has contacted me thro the email and I have sent the files already sent to avast team and would also send , by changing the dns to cloudfare and without changing the dns by my ISP, the results of network inspector and smart scan with debugging enabled. If i receive anything I will share with the members. This is for information.
Why a report on smart scan , feataure of exporting log files had been discontinued and also even if a report is generated ,it is not shown in the report folder as a separate file is not known. The starting threads by members just hang on .
Yesterday, I did reply to a old thread that was about 120 days old, with the same problem of creation of smart scan log , and posted the reply. The thread could not be seen in my summary contents or in the forum. Would somebody say, if it is moderated by avast or I miss something.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2023, 07:12:36 AM by jraju »

Offline jraju

• Poster
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2023, 06:41:37 AM »
Hi, today someone else asked me to send the issue details again.
I just sent the enclosures with all mail contents to this staff also , by forwarding all to this person.
I am a little bit confused ,how so many persons , are asking to me send the details once again.
Anyhow, on receipt of any reply from avast , I will reply to this forum members.

Offline jraju

• Poster
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2023, 04:24:36 AM »
DAVid r, hi,

I saw your threads on smart scan and then only realizes that it could be correct , that mine is false positive. You have correctly said that smart scan report is somehow disabled in creating reports any kind of log. I checked my dns in so many websites like grc.com, and host of services and no website says that my dns is prone to hijack. grc.com tells excellent in spoof ability test result as excellent, when I just changed my dns in devices to cloudfare dns in both ipv4 and ipv6.  but rescan by avast smart prompts dns hijacking and there are no logs to verify.
I have expected a line in reply from avast, but avast team not even acknowledges receipt of support files from me.
AVast team has to either say yes or no to my query, as to the false positive query.
Still expecting replies from avast team on this .PLEase say the below link, where i have raised and fixed by avast.
https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=298745.15
« Last Edit: October 29, 2023, 04:43:15 AM by jraju »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2023, 11:58:30 AM »
I'm unable to respond to that as I don't work for Avast.

I can only go by my own personal experience of what I have experienced or seen in the forums.

Your image states that you are vulnerable, not that it has happened.  It is more of you have a headache here is an aspirin, that will be $$

For me going back to a topic that is over two years old isn't really fruitful as much will have changed in two years, in the program and the real world.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline jraju

• Poster
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2023, 12:10:02 PM »
I know that you are not on avast team.
I just quoted your experience and nothing more.
I came across your threads when I search for logs on smart scan threads in avast forum.