Author Topic: Issue installing Secure Browser  (Read 961 times)

Offline mattp

Issue installing Secure Browser
« on: October 16, 2023, 08:41:57 PM »
I recently purchased a new computer but am having trouble downloading Secure Browser.

Every time I try to download it the following message pops up:

Program Compatibility Assistant
This app can't run on this device
Avast
Avast Software*
This app can't run because it causes security or performance
issues on Windows. A new version may be available. Check
with your software provider for an updated version that runs
on this version of Windows.

An error occurred installing Avast Secure Browser.
Please visit the Avast Secure Browser website for help.

Does anyone have any ideas on fixing this?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Issue installing Secure Browser
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2023, 09:48:08 PM »
Best sub-forum for this would have been the Avast Secure Browser for Windows - https://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=122.0
There might even be a related topic.

Did you visit the Avast Secure Browser - https://support.avast.com/en-gb/article/install-secure-browser/#pc - as suggested.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2023, 09:51:23 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline mattp

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2023, 07:20:39 PM »
Ok i'll check out the subforum.

And yes, that was the link I used to download.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2023, 09:47:18 PM »
Unfortunately I have never installed the Chromium based Avast Secure Browser, so I can't speak from personal experience.

If this were truly to an ASB issue, I would have expected to see many such topics in the Avast Secure Browser for Windows and I haven't seen that.

So I feel that you should create a new topic in the Avast Secure Browser for Windows - https://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=122.0
In that post give as much information about your system as possible, operating system, antivirus program and version number.
Did you run the downloaded installation file as an Administrator (as mentioned in the Install Secure Browser link I gave ?
This bit "Check with your software provider for an updated version that runs on this version of Windows." which is why I asked above.

DON'T answer these questions here, start your new topic as I mentioned and outline the answers there. That way people will have more information to work with and help.
Also ensure, confirm the steps you followed during the installation.

I did a search on Program Compatibility Assistant
Quote from: Extract
The Program Compatibility Assistant Service is a built-in Windows service that helps users run older programs on newer versions of Windows. It automatically detects compatibility issues and provides solutions to ensure that legacy software can still be used effectively.
Which triggered more questions.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security