Author Topic: Nvidia blocked from chaning display mode  (Read 4461 times)

Offline Matthew043

Nvidia blocked from chaning display mode
« on: October 18, 2023, 03:08:02 AM »
Avast programs, a large list that Nvidia kindly provides in the error message, is preventing the display change when the GPU wants to take over.  This is a stock gaming laptop. Acer Nitro 17.  Avast is blocking this out of the box.  Really annoying. Does anyone have the solution?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Nvidia blocked from chaning display mode
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2023, 03:22:42 AM »
Are you getting any error messages or alerts ?
If so what actions, file names, etc.
As there isn't much to work with.

I have a very old Acer Aspire F15, but that's no gaming system so I don't experiencing it.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline prokopes_

• Avast team
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2023, 12:36:54 PM »
Hi Matthew043, we're aware of this issue and we're working on a fix. We will try to keep you posted.

Regrettably, I don't think there's any good workaround available right now. You can try disabling Optimus (tutorial), but I realize it's not a good long-term solution as this setting will affect the battery life.
ō͡≡о

Offline Matthew043

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2023, 02:21:08 PM »
Are you getting any error messages or alerts ?
If so what actions, file names, etc.
As there isn't much to work with.

I have a very old Acer Aspire F15, but that's no gaming system so I don't experiencing it.
Thanks it's being blocked by a bunch of avast programs, AvastUI.exe, VPN.exe etc.

Offline Matthew043

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2023, 02:23:38 PM »
Hi Matthew043, we're aware of this issue and we're working on a fix. We will try to keep you posted.

Regrettably, I don't think there's any good workaround available right now. You can try disabling Optimus (tutorial), but I realize it's not a good long-term solution as this setting will affect the battery life.
That's disheartening.  when you're carrying around a 330W power adaptor GPU switching is pretty important.  Thanks for letting me know I'm not crazy messing it up myself.  https://photos.app.goo.gl/2GQdRdALrcmeReCh9

Offline Jam37

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2023, 06:04:15 AM »
Yeah on my acer nitro 17 same error

Offline NightBlue

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2023, 11:46:18 PM »
I have the same problem. Acer Nitro 16. I have to manual the optumus setting guide. This is very annoying. :(

Offline Bellboy

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2023, 10:27:05 AM »

I am having the exact same problem.. Is there any update on the above? I recently got a new laptop and installed avast yesterday. Suffice to say it's being uninstalled today.

Offline Bryan40

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2024, 02:19:15 PM »
I am also having this issue on my Alienware m17 R5 AMD.
I saw them mention they are working on a fix. Looking forward to that update. In the meantime I am having to disable the majority of programs which is very disappointing. If this isnt fixed soon I unfortunately will be removing Avast from my system. I am sure they don't want that but we don't really have many other options at the moment.

Offline Bowdon

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2024, 08:06:11 PM »
Im having the same issue.

Medion X40 laptop.

Offline Jeff94

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2024, 01:38:45 AM »
I'm having the same problem as everyone else here. Is there any other workaround besides uninstalling Avast? I don't like being without antivirus, so is there a way to temporarily disable or turn Avast "off" when I want to play a game, so the video card can change display modes?

Offline Duy Anh

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2024, 04:48:50 PM »
I saw that the issue has been there since 2023. And it's still a problem now. Maybe I should ask for a refund since this problem is extremely annoying

Offline prokopes_

• Avast team
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2024, 04:20:24 PM »
Hi all, the fix should be available in the upcoming program update 24.3. You can already install beta to check if it's resolved for you. To install beta, simply download and install Avast using the links from this topic: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=326994.0
Once beta is installed, restart your computer and check if the problem is resolved.
Thank you,
ō͡≡о