Author Topic: "Enable Offline Mode" setting clickable without firewall installed  (Read 1628 times)

Offline Dinobot2

• Poster
In the Troubleshooting Settings menu, there is a setting called "Enable Offline Mode" that, according to the description, will completely disconnect this computer from the internet. However, in the past it always said that the setting is only available if you have the firewall installed and enabled, which it has said on my Troubleshooting settings in the past, as I do not have the Avast Firewall installed as part of my Avast Free protection, and the setting would be greyed out and unclickable. Earlier today, however, I looked at the troubleshooting settings to discover that it is, indeed, clickable. I checked in Avast to make sure I didn't have the Firewall installed and even checked my Windows Security settings as well. I clicked the setting on just to see what would happen, and it did not indeed take my computer offline, which would make sense.

I still found this kind of odd, so I uninstalled Avast using the avastclear tool, then did a clean install. After the install, I checked the settings again and that setting was indeed greyed out with the "only available with Firewall installed" disclaimer. So I then do a regular restart by using the Windows menu, without doing anything else in Avast, and after the restart I look back at the settings and it's back to the way it was in the screenshot with it being clickable despite still not having Avast's Firewall installed. I then restore my settings, restart, checked the setting (clickable) then restart again for good measure, and the setting is still clickable.

I found this a bit odd. I'm not sure if this is a weird glitch with the new version. Is anyone else seeing this quirkiness as well?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2023, 04:55:02 PM by Dinobot2 »

Offline Dinobot2

• Poster
Re: "Enable Offline Mode" setting clickable without firewall installed
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2023, 04:57:35 PM »
Update here, and an interesting wrinkle. I tried doing a repair on Avast to see if that would do anything, and it did! It changes the UI to grey out that setting. But on a regular restart, it once again makes it clickable, before being fixed by another repair. So there is something with restarts that changes that button to make it clickable/selectable, even if doing so does nothing since I don't have Avast's firewall involved. At least that's the case on my computer, and with version 23.11.6090, build 23.11.8635.809.

Offline petr blatny

• Avast team
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2023, 12:24:41 PM »
Hello Dinobot2
thank you for the report. We will fix that.

Petr

Offline Dinobot2

• Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2023, 04:25:32 PM »
Another further update: The setting now becomes clickable eventually even without a restart.

Still very curious if others are noticing this too, or if i'm the only one.

Offline Dinobot2

• Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2023, 04:15:39 AM »
Hello Dinobot2

Petr

Just out of curiosity, will this fix be in the next regular monthly update or as a one-time "emergency" update?

Offline Dinobot2

• Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2023, 10:30:44 PM »
Update: I have noticed, after a few 'tests', that manually checking for definitions updates (whether any exist or not) causes this button and setting to become 'clickable' (or at least appear so). An Avast repair fixes it still.

Also, following up on my question here.

Hello Dinobot2

Petr

Just out of curiosity, will this fix be in the next regular monthly update or as a one-time "emergency" update?

Offline Dinobot2

• Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2023, 01:54:40 PM »
Another update. It appears that this may have to do with the UI version of Avast, at least correlatively. When the UI shows that option as 'clickable', the UI version will be 1.0.791. When I do a repair, it fixes that, but the UI version is 1.0.787.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2023, 07:01:09 PM by Dinobot2 »