Author Topic: Avast 8.0.1489 (XP) Definitions list download stops at File saving  (Read 4263 times)

Offline visionhelp

Yes.
"version indicate": I don´t know.
It is from the direct link from here this comment https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=325476.msg1712715#msg1712715

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
I'm completely out of ideas.

Other than updating to at least 18.8 (which you are reluctant to do) or somehow finding a source for an earlier version Avast 12 that still has VPS support.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.7.6124 (build 24.7.9311.855) UI 1.0.811/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Online rocksteady

• Super Poster
FWIW. I am still getting automatic virus definition updates OK on v18. Just the "Free" licence is indicated as expired.

Offline Dinobot2

• Poster
FWIW. I am still getting automatic virus definition updates OK on v18. Just the "Free" licence is indicated as expired.

I thought you were on V23 based on your comments in the 23.12 Thread yesterday? Or was that just you confirming the ending digits on the build number?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks

The fact that it is saying it is expired, I don't believe that stops the VPS updates.  A very long time ago if you continued past the expiry date (don't know by how much) it auto updated the registration. 

The question I would ask is why you go past the free registration period (unless you are testing something), it's free after all  ?
I renew when it first mentions expiry/renew in X days.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.7.6124 (build 24.7.9311.855) UI 1.0.811/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks

I thought you were on V23 based on your comments in the 23.12 Thread yesterday? Or was that just you confirming the ending digits on the build number?

No 'rocksteady' has been a long term XP user and 18.8 is the last supported version of Avast for XP.

Offline visionhelp

No, all my lots effort text gone, after posting ... wouh. No.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
No, all my lots effort text gone, after posting ... wouh. No.

If you mean you lost the text that you had compiled when you tried to post ?
Then I would advise copy and past your text (if you are taking a long time compiling it), before posting it.  As it would appear that there is some sort of refresh if there is a long delay, this results in clearing what you entered and an empty post. 
This has caught me out on a number of  occasions, now If it has taken time to research and post an answer, before doing so I copy my text first.

Offline visionhelp

Yes.

Copy - to have it at least in the clipboard - I sometimes think of it and do it, yes, sometimes not.
It happens so fast, that one copies just an other text, and to copy again the whole text is just a boring work.
I did already see 2 solutions to this:
either saving - as the web-site - as a text-editor automatically saving in a determined time as backup, or save it an other way (also the web-site), and when going back - ´go back one page´ - to the edit-site and has the text there still available.

To use basically the preview could perhaps be a solution to avoid empty posting.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Yes.

Copy - to have it at least in the clipboard - I sometimes think of it and do it, yes, sometimes not.
1. It happens so fast, that one copies just an other text, and to copy again the whole text is just a boring work.
I did already see 2 solutions to this:
either saving - as the web-site - as a text-editor automatically saving in a determined time as backup, or save it an other way (also the web-site), and when going back - 2. ´go back one page´ - to the edit-site and has the text there still available.

To use basically the preview could perhaps be a solution to avoid empty posting.

1. For me, if I have spent some time compiling a long reply, I use two keystrokes when the cursor in in the input area Ctrl+A 'select all' and Ctrl+C and copy before I press either Preview or Post. 
So if I end up with a blank input window/preview pane, I use the Ctrl+V paste shortcut.

2. Doesn't always work, going back a page can back to a blank input field as it is time expired.

Offline visionhelp

1. For me, if I have spent some time compiling a long reply, I use two keystrokes when the cursor in in the input area Ctrl+A 'select all' and Ctrl+C and copy before I press either Preview or Post. 
So if I end up with a blank input window/preview pane, I use the Ctrl+V paste shortcut.

2. Doesn't always work, going back a page can back to a blank input field as it is time expired.

1.) With mouse right click is faster.

2.) These are possible solutions I could experience.
BUT: not everywhere.
This needs an other solution, something as a clipboard - in my system - with automated saving, once a minute or so.

OK. Back to the topic.

´Keeping me back´ to try other versions of Avast:
The all possible settings already are a challenge.
Some things just to set, without quite real knowing, what does what.
One just cannot study any possible settings, alone from the effort the time that would need.

And then from version to version, as Windows-like: everything changes again ...

Currently my trouble is:
1.) Did receive vps-updates until this summer. (With Avast verison 8.)
Did the (but) un-clear - names and version-numbers - download from an other member here. And tried, without thinking about, that the vps-updts from before must be gone, and without knowing what I have now.

2.) Here also I got a link for to download vps-updts manual and to install manual. For from Avast 9 and up.
But these  Avast versions are to receive not reliable from Avast itself.
I could get the 18.8 here a link reliable.
But if - perhaps - not to use for me, at least the still perhaps only possible performance, I have to uninstall this version again (as in addition special clean uninstall), and to re-install the version 8 again.
(But then - also as now already - only with the missing virus-list updates, which I did receive until this summer.)
Example: The version 8 lets me set or unset:
check during write, check during read, both or nothing.
Interpreting that when setting ´check during write´ should make for ´check during read´ unnecessary, I did only set to this.
With - at the same time totally - overwhelmed this decision, because as Avast should be able to know, which setting is secure enough and fast enough for a well performance the system still.
But what - for example - in 18.8 is still to set, or not, and has bad effect to the performance, than, please, no, not for me.

3.) The reminder the vps-updates (whether in 8 or 18.8 ): where/how to switch off only this ?

Thanks the reading.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2023, 03:55:15 AM by visionhelp »

Offline visionhelp

Wow. Did a search, made a find:
https://www.techspot.com/downloads/2108-avast-virus-definitions-update.html
There is a new update - December 26, 2023 - for Avast 5, 6, 7, 8.
Downloaded 1,964,997 times, until now.

This does solve me 2 current troubles presented here.
Sorry. Correction in this comment, Reply #49 https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=233272.msg1712944#msg1712944

Is here now said, that newest Avast versions are also for XP; just can´t believe it, sorry ?
https://www.avast.com/windows-xp-antivirus
« Last Edit: December 27, 2023, 11:12:45 PM by visionhelp »