Author Topic: Signature update time interval.  (Read 1911 times)

Offline Nunzio77

• Poster
Signature update time interval.
« on: December 01, 2023, 04:23:10 PM »
How often are signatures updated in a day?
I don't mean streaming updates but daily signature updates.
Thank you and good day!
Nunzio
----------------------------
Avast Free - Windows 10 Pro-32 Bit, Intel Core2 Duo CPU T7500, RAM 4 Gb, SDD 512 Gb, ATI Mobile Radeon HD 2400 - Avast Mobile Security Free - Smartphone Android

Offline Dinobot2

• Poster
Re: Signature update time interval.
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2023, 05:27:00 PM »
Based on my experience with the folder names and version numbers, anywhere from two to sixteen times a day.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2023, 05:59:33 PM by Dinobot2 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2023, 06:20:43 PM »
How often are signatures updated in a day?
I don't mean streaming updates but daily signature updates.

It isn't a fixed number, just check out the C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\defs sub folder and you will see this
The Folder, File name is in YYMMDDNN Year Month Day followed by the number (NN) of VPS updates that day so far.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Nunzio77

• Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2023, 06:29:01 PM »
Do you know what time interval the check takes place to see if there are new signatures?
Every hour, every two hours...?
Thank you and good day!
Nunzio
Avast Free - Windows 10 Pro-32 Bit, Intel Core2 Duo CPU T7500, RAM 4 Gb, SDD 512 Gb, ATI Mobile Radeon HD 2400 - Avast Mobile Security Free - Smartphone Android

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2023, 08:21:17 PM »
Do you know what time interval the check takes place to see if there are new signatures?

I haven't got a clue and how they are pushed.

When you have hundreds of millions of users scheduling could cause massive server loads, in the same way everyone can't get program updates at the same time.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Mr. Consumer

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2023, 04:29:01 PM »

I haven't got a clue and how they are pushed.

When you have hundreds of millions of users scheduling could cause massive server loads, in the same way everyone can't get program updates at the same time.
Full signature update is pushed once or twice a day, I think. This is what I observed. Of course, Avast don't need to push updates more than that a day because of the amazing streaming update feature. Other products release more times. From 4-8 times a day depending on the product. All are released at the same time globally. So, server load is probably not an issue for daily signature updates for well-known products. Program updates are released in a phased manner mainly to wait and see if there's any major issue reported by users or collected by product telemetry.

Offline Nunzio77

• Poster
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2023, 04:37:42 PM »
On this Avast page: https://www.avast.com/download-update#pc
it is written:

"A feature of most of our programs is the ability to update automatically. If you are connected to the Internet, virus database updates are automatically downloaded and installed without any action on your part. The availability of a new version is checked when it is Internet connection is established and every four hours thereafter. If necessary, you can also download update files from these pages, for example if your computer does not have an Internet connection. Updates are generally released on a daily basis."
Thank you and good day!
Nunzio

Offline Nunzio77

• Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2023, 04:43:54 PM »
However, in the last few days I have noticed a problem that when I turn on the PC the definitions do not update to the latest version and the writing turns red indicating that the definitions are obsolete.
In some cases, restarting the PC causes the definitions to be updated.
This problem was reported in another post in this forum: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=324890.0
We'll see if they solve the problem.
Thank you and good day!
Nunzio

Offline waking

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2023, 07:28:01 PM »
"The availability of a new version is checked when it is Internet connection is established and every four hours thereafter. "

Note that the four-hour interval is configurable in the Geek Area.

"Using the Avast Geek settings area in Avast Antivirus"

https://support.avast.com/en-ca/article/use-antivirus-geek-settings/#pc

"Update

Specify how frequently Avast Antivirus downloads Virus definitions and application
updates (default value 240 minutes)."

Offline Nunzio77

• Poster
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2023, 07:38:49 PM »
"The availability of a new version is checked when it is Internet connection is established and every four hours thereafter. "

Note that the four-hour interval is configurable in the Geek Area.

"Using the Avast Geek settings area in Avast Antivirus"

https://support.avast.com/en-ca/article/use-antivirus-geek-settings/#pc

"Update

Specify how frequently Avast Antivirus downloads Virus definitions and application
updates (default value 240 minutes)."

Thanks for the information I didn't know.
At this point I'm wondering why it's in the Geek area? Why isn't this a simple setting that a user could customize?
Many AVs have this feature.
A user could choose to reduce it to 1 hour, 2 hours, etc...
With the current fast connections ADSL, Fiber, etc... I don't think it has much impact in those few seconds used to update the definitions.
In my opinion the option could come out of the Geek area.
Thank you and good day!
Nunzio