Author Topic: [solved] Unable to update malwarebytes ... due to avast?  (Read 3073 times)

Offline chris...

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
[solved] Unable to update malwarebytes ... due to avast?
« on: December 02, 2023, 04:00:14 PM »
Hi,
I'm having a problem with the malwarebytes update, which downloads and installs in a loop without ever incrementing the version or modules.

Other identical cases on the malwarebytes forum and obviously avast is the culprit.

Can other avast/malwarebytes users confirm this?

I don't use malwarebytes in real time, just occasionally (the service is in "manual" mode).
« Last Edit: December 03, 2023, 09:50:39 PM by chris.. »

Offline Dinobot2

• Poster
Re: Unable to update malwarebytes ... due to avast?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2023, 05:45:49 PM »
I had an issue with this yesterday, and perhaps you're referring to my thread there. It takes a few clicks a lot of times to get the update to actually take, but mine went one step further and asked me to restart twice, until finally I was able to get the latest component package.

If you read that thread, it's mainly speculation from the one user that Avast could be responsible, and he admits as much. When I asked about potential Avast and MBAM conflicts a while back, that same person said that the scanners won't cause an issue and then re-iterated in the thread from yesterday that it was specifically the scanners, and that updates can still be messed with. Again, this was his speculation and he doesn't solely blame Avast. He also mentions Fast Startup and recommends that being disabled, and it's something I think i'll do, but considering I don't just shut down my computer often and have restarted several times over the last few days (including 10 or so hours before that first update attempt yesterday), i'm not sure how much of an issue that was.

Another thread that I posted regarding the updates generally and the number of clicks needed, he suggested that the first click is for updates to definitions, then subsequent clicks would be updates for updates to the program and component version. As you'll see in my most recent thread, it wasn't my experience yesterday. It could have been a weird one-off glitch, or something that's wrong broadly.

So to answer your question: I experience the same thing, I don't know if it's due to Avast. I also use just the Free version that's just the manual, on demand scanner.

Links to MB Forum threads in case people don't want to click the hyperlinks above

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/305107-cant-update-mb-free/

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/303284-malwarebytes-free-with-avast

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/303281-malwarebytes-restarted-to-install-update-but-update-date-was-unchanged/
« Last Edit: December 02, 2023, 06:06:34 PM by Dinobot2 »

Offline MrDJ

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2023, 05:48:48 PM »
which version you running Chris.
4.6.1 here. just pulled out of the ended premium trial which they upgrade you to now and again. not sure there was a auto update but as i dont have it running in background so im not sure.
running a scan now.
scrap that, just done a manual check after the scan for update and it started instaling. now on 4.6.6 and loaded without any isues from avast premium.

edit
version 1.0.77890
component 1.0.2201
Dinobot2
it didnt ask me to restart comp just firefox.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2023, 05:56:54 PM by MrDJ »
Clevo P502 Laptop i7 3720QM 2.60GHz, 16gb ram, Nvidia GTX 680M, Crucial 512 SSD, Windows 10 Pro 64bit, over 12 years old and still super fast.

Offline Dinobot2

• Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2023, 06:07:17 PM »
Malwarebytes asked you to restart Firefox? That's interesting. Is MBAM connected to your Firefox like with the Browser Guard?

Offline MrDJ

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2023, 06:19:16 PM »
stupid hat on now.
only mbam ive ever used was years ago on and old pc to wipe hard drive.
sorry, dopy twat me is. it asked me to restart the program not firefox DOH!
just checked program files and mbam is in the malwarebytes folder and accessed today so i guess i do have it installed.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2023, 06:20:58 PM by MrDJ »
Clevo P502 Laptop i7 3720QM 2.60GHz, 16gb ram, Nvidia GTX 680M, Crucial 512 SSD, Windows 10 Pro 64bit, over 12 years old and still super fast.

Offline chris...

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2023, 09:47:44 PM »
Today the update seems to have been installed.

Now when I try to do a manual update, the message announces "you are up to date".

it asked me to restart the program

Generally, this restart is performed each time the program version is updated, but not for the module update.

My program version is (has been for several days now) 4.6.6.294

Yesterday it was component pack 1.0.2189 that wouldn't update to 1.0.2201, it told me it was installed but it wasn't, and it kept looping every time I tried to update it, even after every type of startup...OK today

Offline Dinobot2

• Poster
Re: [solved] Unable to update malwarebytes ... due to avast?
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2024, 11:33:10 PM »
Hi chris..

Wondering if you're still having the same issue as last time? I tried updating MBAM and while it downloaded and installed an update successfully, i'm still on an out-of-date program and component package version. Subsequent clicks to Check for updates (on either the General or About tab) just pops up that Malwarebytes is already up to date.

Offline chris...

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2024, 12:32:42 AM »
Hi,
I don't have the problem for now, I'm up to date with the latest version:
4.6.8.311  --- 1.0.79646 --- 1.0.2242

try to do a scan and then when it's finished, search for an update again...Normally the update is done

Offline Dinobot2

• Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2024, 12:47:49 AM »
I already did a scan on some files from the context menu and it didn't do anything to update me to the latest version. I think it may have only updated the definitions but wasn't doing anything for the program and component package. Even tried a computer restart and still the same issue.

I posted the issue on the Malwarebytes forums and was given the offline installer for the latest version which worked and i'm as up to date as you are after manually updating the definitions again. But I'm not sure if that fixed any underlying issue or that was just a one time glitch. I guess I won't find out until the next big update.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2024, 12:49:39 AM by Dinobot2 »

Offline Dinobot2

• Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2024, 03:35:33 AM »
Bumping this again to see if you or anyone else is having a Malwarebytes update issue. They updated to Component package version 1.0.2249, but i'm still stuck on 1.0.2242 after clicking Check for updates over and over. It still tells me i'm up to date after updating the update package version.

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2024, 05:08:12 PM »
Bumping this again to see if you or anyone else is having a Malwarebytes update issue. They updated to Component package version 1.0.2249, but i'm still stuck on 1.0.2242 after clicking Check for updates over and over. It still tells me i'm up to date after updating the update package version.
FYI. I have MWB v4.6.8.311. I did "Check for updates" today and got component package 1.0.2249.
Only use MWB for occasional manual scans, not live protection which would likely fight with Avast.

Offline chris...

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2024, 05:25:11 PM »
1.0.2249 from 01/27 at 8:37 pm

as I've already said, if I don't run an analysis, no update (module or version) is made and I'm also "up to date" in a loop.

The procedure for updating:

1-I do a manual (1st) update.

3-I run a scan (2nd search for an update ... automatically).

4-I perform a (3rd) manual update.

If a version or module update is available, it is only carried out at this point.

Offline Dinobot2

• Poster
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2024, 11:18:25 PM »
Ok i'll try that next time if the update doesn't work. I used their support tool to do a clean install at someone's recommendation, so hopefully that actually does the trick. If it doesn't, i'll try your method, but it really shouldn't be necessary to jump through all of the hoops or go in this sequence just to properly update it.

Offline Dinobot2

• Poster
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2024, 01:18:44 AM »
1.0.2249 from 01/27 at 8:37 pm

as I've already said, if I don't run an analysis, no update (module or version) is made and I'm also "up to date" in a loop.

The procedure for updating:

1-I do a manual (1st) update.

3-I run a scan (2nd search for an update ... automatically).

4-I perform a (3rd) manual update.

If a version or module update is available, it is only carried out at this point.

Also, when you run a scan, are you running a full scan of your computer or just scanning a small folder or something? You can't do quick scans on the free version of Malwarebytes.

Offline Cluster-Lizard2014

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2024, 02:03:42 PM »
It is probably entirely unrelated to this current problem but long a go I suddenly had trouble updating MWB; it would say I had the latest definitions available when, as I eventually realised, they were not.

After a suggestion on another forum I found the problem was, as they had guessed, some change in the ISP's default DNS server security settings and it was blocking the MWB's update. No explanation was offered when I asked on the ISP's forum about this being a possibility.

However when I took the 'risk' and swapped from the default ISP DNS server to another one, 'magically' the MWB updates started working again.

It is very simple to do if you go into your computer's network settings you can change the default DNS server and set up a secondary one very easily. You may even find you get a little bit more speed too.