Author Topic: Fully patched PCs are a rare breed  (Read 9633 times)

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
Fully patched PCs are a rare breed
« on: January 10, 2008, 09:09:01 PM »
Can't hurt to beat people over the head with this one:

A small minority of users - as few as one in 20 - is running fully-patched Windows PCs.

Just five per cent of newly-registered users of an online security inspection service Secunia came out with a clean bill of health, while more than 40 per cent have at least 11 insecure applications installed.

The data is based on scans of 20,009 computers whose users recently installed Secunia's freely available software inspection tool. Secunia claims a total user base of more than 200,000 users for its free Secunia PSI tool. A survey of a different sample set of Secunia PSI recently discovered that one in five software apps installed on computers are insecure or out of date.

The Danish security firm said stats from its service show users are struggling to keep their PCs up to date. "Patching a PC is as important as running anti-virus and a personal firewall," said Thomas Kristensen, Secunia's CTO. ®

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/01/09/secunia_insecurity_survey/
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Rafel

Re: Fully patched PCs are a rare breed
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 09:54:22 PM »
I'm fully patched always  ;D

micky77

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 07:11:57 PM »
When I do A thorough scan,Secunia tells me my Thunderbird needs updating to 2.0.0.9. I have 2.0.0.9, if I open Thunderbird and check for updates,I get no updates available.So I'm one of the unpatched ? So maybe their findings are not as accurate as they say !

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 07:49:04 PM »
When I do A thorough scan,Secunia tells me my Thunderbird needs updating to 2.0.0.9. I have 2.0.0.9, if I open Thunderbird and check for updates,I get no updates available.So I'm one of the unpatched ? So maybe their findings are not as accurate as they say !
Maybe some are not accurate, but as many people ive helped out around my neighborhood 1 in 20 sounds about right.

Just last week I reinstalled WIndows on a friends PC  who still has XP SP1 on his machine. SP2 has been out how long now?
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2008, 01:02:10 AM »
Damien,
Patches are for bluejeans.  ;D Updates are for computers. 
My genes are patched and my computer is fully updated.  :)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v24H2 64bit, 32 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 24.4.6112, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2008, 10:13:23 AM »

Do you have a second copy of Thunderbird in another location for some reason?

Does the location given for the out-of-date Thunderbird match the location of the Thunderbird you are using?

Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

micky77

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2008, 01:29:10 PM »
Can't quite work this one out, Secunia tells me my version Thunderbird 2.x is out of date,yet when I do the same scan using the sandboxed browser it says my version 2.0.0.9 is upto date.Weird.Not to worry though,its probably some blip on my computer.I actually use thunderbird with DropMyRights while sandboxed  ;D maybe thats confusing Secunia.I confuse myself sometimes

Offline Abraxas

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
  • Perseverance Furthers...
    • PCLinuxOS-Forums
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2008, 04:37:29 PM »
FreewheelinFrank:
Can't hurt to beat people over the head with this one
I'm sure those stats are pretty close to the truth . Most PC users just wanna use their PC , not do a lot of updating . The more I suggest to people about the dangers online the less people listen , sad but true I'm afraid  ::)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2008, 07:15:31 PM »
Weird.
Secunia informs the path of the non-patched file. Which is it?

Not to worry though,its probably some blip on my computer.I actually use thunderbird with DropMyRights while sandboxed  ;D
I don't think so. Secunia won't detect this situation.
The best things in life are free.

micky77

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2008, 11:04:14 AM »
Installed on Your System in:
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2008, 01:13:43 PM »
Ok, strange... is it in English or other language? Even so, seems a bad detection.
I have this in the past, not anymore. I have both XP and Vista systems with Thunderbird installed and not a problem with Secunia. Maybe you could run the Thunderbird setup.exe file again and repair the installation...

micky77

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2008, 02:30:10 PM »
Ok, strange... is it in English or other language? Even so, seems a bad detection.
I have this in the past, not anymore. I have both XP and Vista systems with Thunderbird installed and not a problem with Secunia. Maybe you could run the Thunderbird setup.exe file again and repair the installation...
Thanks, I will wait untill next thunderbird update,and see  if that rectifies the matter.I emailed Secunia,they might get back to me. :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2008, 03:36:34 PM »
I emailed Secunia, they might get back to me. :)
Ok. Please, post back. It's always good to solve a mystery 8)

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Ideas, that's ocean without borders!
    • Bohemia Interactive
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2008, 04:00:52 AM »
there is some irk with PSI ... sometimes custom rescan / realtime monitor fails to accept You updated 'insecure' application

usually this is resolved in full scan
https://twitter.com/FoltynD , Tech. Community, Online Services & Distribution manager of Bohemia Interactive

Offline YLAP

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2008, 11:33:09 AM »
Tring to keep my box up to date as possible, but sometimes it's hard to do. Windows are kept up to date, but other programs sometimes not.