Author Topic: advanced search in smart scan stalling  (Read 1699 times)

Offline PoetsWife

advanced search in smart scan stalling
« on: January 10, 2024, 01:02:02 PM »
I tried a search for this and couldn't find it quickly, so apologies if it's already been reported.

Every time I run smart scan it stalls at 83% during the search for advanced issues. Everything worked up until the last few weeks of 2023, when it started stalling at the same place. In the first week of 2024, it stalled again and I collected an update. It didn't stall last week, but it's stalled again this week.

Is this a known issue?

Offline Knight

• doodle baseball
Re: advanced search in smart scan stalling
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2024, 03:04:24 AM »
Ensure that your antivirus or anti-malware software is up to date. Software developers regularly release updates to address bugs and improve performance.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2024, 03:54:34 AM »
What Avast Program and version number are you using  ?

Whilst I would agree it is important to keep your antivirus program up to date. I would question the need to run a Smart scan every week ?

With a resident on-access antivirus like avast, the need for frequent on-demand scans is much depreciated. For the most part the on-demand scan is going to be scanning files that would be otherwise be dormant or inert. If they were active files then the on-access file system shield would be scanning them before being created, modified, opened or executed.

With the Smart Scan is it stalling in the 3rd Advanced issues, this is generally related to vulnerabilities/weaknesses in your protection.  For the most part this is Avast pointing out  potential issue, only to offer you  a solution (paid product) to solve it. 

So in your previous scanning for Advanced Issues what has it reported  ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free  24.8.6127 (build 24.8.9372.870) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline PoetsWife

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2024, 01:35:40 PM »
Ensure that your antivirus or anti-malware software is up to date. Software developers regularly release updates to address bugs and improve performance.

Thank you. That was the first thing I did. It updated the week before, but there were no updates during the week in question.

Offline PoetsWife

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2024, 01:36:56 PM »
Whilst I would agree it is important to keep your antivirus program up to date. I would question the need to run a Smart scan every week ?

With a resident on-access antivirus like avast, the need for frequent on-demand scans is much depreciated. For the most part the on-demand scan is going to be scanning files that would be otherwise be dormant or inert. If they were active files then the on-access file system shield would be scanning them before being created, modified, opened or executed.

With the Smart Scan is it stalling in the 3rd Advanced issues, this is generally related to vulnerabilities/weaknesses in your protection.  For the most part this is Avast pointing out  potential issue, only to offer you  a solution (paid product) to solve it. 

So in your previous scanning for Advanced Issues what has it reported  ?

Thank you. I've been running it every week because it kept stalling and not finishing. It doesn't report anything for advanced issues. It doesn't get that far. It just gets stuck at 83%. I've gone back hours later and it's still be stuck.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2024, 01:43:10 PM by PoetsWife »

Offline PoetsWife

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2024, 01:39:30 PM »
What Avast Program and version number are you using  ?

It's Avast One Essential, 23.12.6094 (build 23.12.8700.813)

Offline PoetsWife

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2024, 01:44:09 PM »
It's limped its way through today, and found no issues. Nevertheless, having found the feedback button, while looking for the version details, I've sent feedback now.

Thanks for the replies.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2024, 02:00:00 PM »
It's limped its way through today, and found no issues. Nevertheless, having found the feedback button, while looking for the version details, I've sent feedback now.

Thanks for the replies.

You're welcome.

Whilst I don't use Avast One Essentials but Avast Antivirus Free, different UI, greater configuration and less components. 

However, if Essentials is the same as Avast Antivirus Free, the majority of the things found in the Advanced issues check would be covered by paid products.

Note there is a sub-forum for Avast One for Windows - https://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=126.0 this would be better for future use and checking to see if any problem might have been covered previously.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free  24.8.6127 (build 24.8.9372.870) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security