Author Topic: Why is AvastUI.exe unkillable and why is it freezing everything it touches?  (Read 1894 times)

Offline Sin Shadow Fox

• blarg
Every time i try to scan something with Avast, the Avast scan window does not appear and the window the program I'm trying to scan is in freezes causing me to have to restart windows explorer. Is there a way to kill AvastUI.exe without having to restart my computer?

I've tried ending process from windows task manager and taskkill /f from cmd.
No Man Left Behind!

Offline New_Style_xd

Could you tell me which version of Avast you are currently using?
OS: Windows 10 PRO / Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6500U CPU 2.60 GHz.
Real Time: Avast Premium Security: 24.2.6104 (compilação 24.2.8904.819) IU: 1.0.799
Moble: Avast Security: 24.3.0-1004091
VPN: Avast SecureLine VPN: 5.29.9498
On Demand: Malwarebytes: 4.6.9.314

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Every time i try to scan something with Avast, the Avast scan window does not appear and the window the program I'm trying to scan is in freezes causing me to have to restart windows explorer. Is there a way to kill AvastUI.exe without having to restart my computer?

How/what are you trying to scan, is this running an on demand scan scan or right clicking on a particular file  ?

Please go through the steps leading up to the freeze.

The Avast function you trying to kill are likely to be protected by the Avast Self Protection.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.6.6121 (build 24.6.9241.848) UI 1.0.809/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline New_Style_xd

How/what are you trying to scan, is this running an on demand scan scan or right clicking on a particular file  ?

The Avast function you trying to kill are likely to be protected by the Avast Self Protection.

I agree with you, he would have to deactivate self-defense and take the test. If it doesn't lock, there may be something that Avast is blocking.
It is still very difficult to know precisely what it is.  :)
Real Time: Avast Premium Security: 24.2.6104 (compilação 24.2.8904.819) IU: 1.0.799

Offline Sin Shadow Fox

• blarg

I'm right click scanning a PDF password rewriter. Each time i do the window the program it's in freezes. It doesn't respond until i try to close the indow it's in and then it says i need to restart/close windows explorer. The avast scan window never appears and any attempt to open Avast does nothing except create a new instance of AvastUI.exe in my windows task manager.
No Man Left Behind!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks

I'm right click scanning a PDF password rewriter. Each time i do the window the program it's in freezes. It doesn't respond until i try to close the indow it's in and then it says i need to restart/close windows explorer. The avast scan window never appears and any attempt to open Avast does nothing except create a new instance of AvastUI.exe in my windows task manager.

Not sure why it is that you feel the need to scan it  ?
What is the name of this program ?

If you downloaded this file, it should have been scanned by the Web Shield and also by the File System Shield if you ran it.

You could also try to upload the file or submit a link to VirusTotal of its online location - https://www.virustotal.com
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.6.6121 (build 24.6.9241.848) UI 1.0.809/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Sin Shadow Fox

• blarg

If you downloaded this file, it should have been scanned by the Web Shield and also by the File System Shield if you ran it.

You could also try to upload the file or submit a link to VirusTotal of its online location - https://www.virustotal.com
I always scan files from websites i don't know well. Call it force of habit. The name of the file is isumsoft-pdf-password-refixer
No Man Left Behind!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Quote from: DavidR

Quote from: Sin Shadow Fox
I always scan files from websites i don't know well. Call it force of habit. The name of the file is isumsoft-pdf-password-refixer

When you download from the Web, first the Web Shield scans the site and contents.  Secondly when the file is saved to the hard disk the File System Shield should also scan it.  If Avast considered it malicious/infected, I would have expected it to have Alerted at that time.

Also as you see from the VT results this .zip file isn't detected - https://www.virustotal.com/gui/url/93d99d0790b6f5a520487c94cc7fd6b6203e1505939a9411c0468e03dd7cca72 - by any of the scanners

I downloaded the .zip file and uploaded that and only one scanner thought it Adware, which in itself isn't malware.
https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/05a4cf53ced9e928700cfbdf7e8a45dd590007f5756d7e5a6371bf90a66f09f0

Offline Sin Shadow Fox

• blarg

When you download from the Web, first the Web Shield scans the site and contents.  Secondly when the file is saved to the hard disk the File System Shield should also scan it.  If Avast considered it malicious/infected, I would have expected it to have Alerted at that time.

Also as you see from the VT results this .zip file isn't detected - https://www.virustotal.com/gui/url/93d99d0790b6f5a520487c94cc7fd6b6203e1505939a9411c0468e03dd7cca72 - by any of the scanners

I downloaded the .zip file and uploaded that and only one scanner thought it Adware, which in itself isn't malware.
https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/05a4cf53ced9e928700cfbdf7e8a45dd590007f5756d7e5a6371bf90a66f09f0
What about the ones at the bottom that couldn't be scanned?
No Man Left Behind!

Offline New_Style_xd

They are the ones that do not recognize the files as viruses, as if they do not exist in their product database.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks

Just because something can't be scanned or is unrated doesn't necessarily mean it is malware, etc.  In cases like this you have to go with the majority.  If that isn't good enough, you can always delete the file concerned.

Offline New_Style_xd

I agree, I always go for the majority. I've always been like this. :)

Offline Sin Shadow Fox

• blarg

Just because something can't be scanned or is unrated doesn't necessarily mean it is malware, etc.  In cases like this you have to go with the majority.  If that isn't good enough, you can always delete the file concerned.
It's not a decision i can make lightly. The PDF that i need the program to open contains medical information that i need to undergo a surgery (otherwise insurance won't cover it) I've spent days trying to crack it so i need this program in order to retrieve the password for the PDF. I need to find out indefinitely if its safe or not. But as for AvastUI.exe, i still need a way to deal with that as it's still frozen.
No Man Left Behind!

Offline New_Style_xd

Dear friend, the only way is for you to request this file again now without a password.
1 - Since AVAST informs you that the program you are using is suspicious.
2 - Or you talk to Avast support and send them this program so they can analyze the program and give a verdict. :)

Offline Sin Shadow Fox

• blarg
Dear friend, the only way is for you to request this file again now without a password.
1 - Since AVAST informs you that the program you are using is suspicious.
2 - Or you talk to Avast support and send them this program so they can analyze the program and give a verdict. :)
Unfortunately the original file is lost to time. But I'll see about getting help from avast support. Thank you ^_^
No Man Left Behind!