Author Topic: Opened a scam link, how affected is my account?  (Read 929 times)

Offline kvintanzil

Opened a scam link, how affected is my account?
« on: January 31, 2024, 06:36:18 PM »
Today a good friend of mine send me a text message on Steam chat (online video game platform) and I did not suspect the chat all, he asked me to vote for his team's logo in a voting contest on this website hxxps://gamingleaguerumble.com/ (it's the scam link, if possible AVAST please block this site!) and he told me to go to contest page and then vote for his team's logo TEAM FEN1X

I trusted it because he is my friend and he does play the game so I tried to open the link, thankfully being the paranoid I am, I opened the link with a secluded BRAVE browser that has no history, cookies, credentials or anything. I use it only to open unknown link such as this. When I tried to vote, a new pop-up came out asking me to login with a steam account, at this moment I knew it was a scam and my friend's account has been compromised so I closed the website and browser and immediately called my friend and he is able to secure his account.

i did have my steam open in another browser (Chrome) and I have the steam app running on my computer, although like I said I opened the website with a secluded browser. So my question is, am I safe? would that affect anything? I had resetted my steam password and logged out all logins from all device just in case, just need a peace of mind.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2024, 07:03:55 PM by kvintanzil »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Opened a scam link, how affected is my account?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2024, 07:12:56 PM »
It isn't easy to indicate how your account might have been effected or not.  But you appear to have stopped before any information might have been harvested.  However your actions would appear to circumvent any possible access on your old credentials.

-  Reporting a possible Malicious sample File or Website - https://www.avast.com/report-malicious-file.php.
From the link select File, Click Browse, that will open Explorer, select the file from the location you have it and Submit.
See attached image Avast-Submit-Undetected-Website.png
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free  24.8.6127 (build 24.8.9372.870) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security