Author Topic: WHERES THE DOWNLOAD BAR GONE!!  (Read 2011 times)

Offline richard.kappy

WHERES THE DOWNLOAD BAR GONE!!
« on: February 18, 2024, 08:14:34 PM »
I've just had the browser updated to the latest version and the download bar at the bottom of the screen has gone. Why are you following what chrome have done as i know many people came to Avast because of this feature. Please bring it back or give the user the option to turn it on/off!!!!

If this isn't possible please advise where i can download an old copy and stop the browser from updating.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2024, 08:25:49 PM by richard.kappy »

Offline richard.kappy

Re: WHERES THE DOWNLOAD BAR GONE!!
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2024, 02:42:22 PM »
Wow over 200 views and no reply..

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2024, 03:28:56 PM »
Had you browsed this sub forum, there was an Avast response in this topic - https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=326161.msg1714771#msg1714771

Hello,
I clicked the "X" to the far right of the Download Bar at the bottom of the Browser expecting it to display again 
once I started another download, but it hasn't. How do I fix that? The Download Bar is a necessary item to be displayed.

Hi c.perron,

could you please check whether you have the Downloads icon in the top right part of the browser window, next to Extensions?

See the screenshot attached.

Sandu
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline richard.kappy

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2024, 04:55:30 PM »
Yes i've seen that post and i do have the download icon at the top right but when i used to click on a download (before the last update) it  appear that the bottom of my screen, that has now gone and there is no setting to bring it back. As a business we download 50-100 files a day and that feature was very important to us.

If this cannot be fixed i would like to know where i can download a old copy of the browser which had this feature.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2024, 06:16:25 PM »
Yes i've seen that post and i do have the download icon at the top right but when i used to click on a download (before the last update) it  appear that the bottom of my screen, that has now gone and there is no setting to bring it back. As a business we download 50-100 files a day and that feature was very important to us.

If this cannot be fixed i would like to know where i can download a old copy of the browser which had this feature.

I would suggest posting this response in the topic I pointed to as Sandu-RM Avast Team member should get a notification of the new post.

Hopefully he can then follow up on it.

Personally I don't use the Avast Secure Browser, so I can't test or speak from personal experience.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Sandu-RM

• Taking care of the Secure Browser releases
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2024, 08:07:54 AM »

Hi,

this change is part of the UX redesign that was inherited from the chromium project and I'm afraid there isn't much we can do with it.

Sandu

Offline richard.kappy

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2024, 09:07:16 AM »
Ok, so where can i download an old copy of the browser before the redesign?

Regards

Offline richard.kappy

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2024, 02:02:39 AM »
Can anybody please point me in the direction of an old copy of the browser before the update?

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2024, 03:44:50 AM »
Other than the issue of the download page not running at the bottom of the new ASB browser, do you see any other issues?

I've looked for a bit and the latest version I can find is ASB 108 dating from July 11, 2023.

One issue I would have in running this version is that malware has evolved since then, and ASB has been changed over time to protect you and meet these challenges.  Older versions will be vulnerable to known and unknown exploits and the older Banking feature included within may well not protect you as it should because it is an obsolete version.

ASB is provided for free, and is owned by Avast, so I think they have the right to redesign and reconfigure their ASB as they see fit and also within the confines of open-source usage.

Avast does have an in-house web page where one can get the latest versions of their programs:  https://www.avast.com/installation-files#pc

Here the only option is to download an ASB web-based installer.  Unfortunately, bookmarking the web url for later use at the next upgrade will not give you the old version, but the newest one.  Avast likely does this to avoid having security issues inherent in older versions.

If the download feature still works, does it really matter if they changed that to a new location?  Please see note above about open-source coding and then see quote posted below:

Hi,

this change is part of the UX redesign that was inherited from the chromium project and I'm afraid there isn't much we can do with it.

Sandu
This change happened because open-source software changed - UX redesign referred to above.  Hope this helps.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

Offline Sandu-RM

• Taking care of the Secure Browser releases
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2024, 09:57:12 AM »
Hi,

as mchain correctly stated, we strongly advise users to use the latest browser version because it includes vulnerability fixes & changes that improve browser's security and stability. I am afraid we cannot provide you with an older version.

Thanks for understanding.

Sandu