Author Topic: Avast Home Edition found some Win32 infected files  (Read 4076 times)

GIAFGC

Avast Home Edition found some Win32 infected files
« on: January 12, 2009, 04:35:56 AM »
I'm not that skilled when it comes to computers so please tell me if I should post more detail.  I've already been to two other sites which ignored me until I found this place.

I made screenshots of the properties of the infected files in my chest because I don't really know how to explain this stuff.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast Home Edition found some Win32 infected files
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 02:29:29 PM »
Files into Chest are protected and can't harm your computer. You can let them there for a while, be sure you're clean, then in a week or two, right click them again into Chest, choose scan, delete the infected ones. This prevent false positives detections.

To be sure you're clean, I suggest:

1. Clean your temporary files.
2. Schedule a boot time scanning with avast with archive scanning turned on. If avast does not detect it, you can try DrWeb CureIT! instead.
3. Use SUPERantispyware, MBAM or Spyware Terminator to scan for spywares and trojans. If any infection is detected, better and safer is send the file to Quarantine than to simple delete them.
4. Test your machine with anti-rootkit applications. I suggest avast! antirootkit or Trend Micro RootkitBuster.
5. Make a HijackThis log to post here or this analysis site. Or even submit the RunScanner log to to on-line analysis.
6. Disable System Restore and then reenable it again.
7. Immunize your system with SpywareBlaster.
8. Check if you have insecure applications with Secunia Software Inspector.
The best things in life are free.

GIAFGC

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 01:29:24 AM »
Sorry I've been a bit busy that's why I wanted to do this a bit earlier but is there anyway for me to repair the infected files?  What does "extract" mean in Avast?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 01:35:29 AM »
Sorry I've been a bit busy that's why I wanted to do this a bit earlier but is there anyway for me to repair the infected files?
You don't have to... why, the files are completely infected, the files are useless, harmful.

What does "extract" mean in Avast?
Make a copy of a file inside Chest to an outside (chosen by the user) folder.
The best things in life are free.

GIAFGC

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 02:03:37 AM »
Yeah but these are important files.  If I delete them my computer might not run correctly.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 03:00:36 AM »
What makes you think they are important other than their location ?

No one is telling you to delete anything - Moving the files to the chest isn't deletion, but quarantining them so they can do no harm.

Based solely on the file names, the .dat files a) look randomly generated, b) .dat files aren't usually in the system folders.

The dnmshra.dll gets zero hits on a google search, suspicious in its own right and not good for a supposed legit file in the system 32 folder.

The ones from the System Volume Information _restore points, they firstly had been previously deleted or moved from system folders to be saved by system restore. So the worst that could happen if these were removed, you couldn't use that _restore point in the future.

If there is any doubt about a restore point it is better out than left in to possibly bite you in the rear something in the future if you use system restore.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

GIAFGC

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 03:08:25 AM »
Okay I guess you're right.  Thanks.  I'm going to be gone for a while but thanks guys.  I may be back some time but you guys were very helpful.  If anyone I know needs tech support I'll send them here.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 03:01:25 PM »
You're welcome.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security