Author Topic: Win32Trojan-gen (VC) and (UPX) and NETSKY-D  (Read 5039 times)

lynnspain

Win32Trojan-gen (VC) and (UPX) and NETSKY-D
« on: March 13, 2004, 11:34:42 AM »
Hi,
First: I have just had the warning that the 2 viruses had been sent to me via e-mail attachments. Both at the same time from different sources and as a result of submitting my website to the search engines.  As I am a new website owner andthis is the first time that I have made submissions could anyone tell me if this is normal. I hope not ::) .

I know that this is the cause for the email address I gave in the submissions has not been used before and the emails also said something about "your web site" in the subject line.

Second Avast caught the 2 viruses and I deleted them all. I ran a full system scan and 5 files from the Trojan virus were found and deleted.  Is this a virus that goes mad when you reboot your machine? So far I have not had the nerve to switch off just incase.

PS I think this is an excellent forum.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:Win32Trojan-gen (VC) and (UPX) and NETSKY-D
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2004, 12:54:03 PM »
It is not very likely, but it could be that the systems that host the searchengines are infected. Normally you only get a confirmation that the wesite has been added to their list or that a robot soon will scan your site.

Since you removed the virusses it is safe to power down/reboot. This should not stop your system from working

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2004, 10:17:46 PM »
I am afraid the only way to protect your e-mail from receiving unwanted files is not to use it. Otherwise, you cannot avoid it. Many worms (when activated) scan the harddisk for e-mail addresses. If a user gets infected and e.g. has your page (with your e-mail) in the browser cache... the virus can find it and send itself to the address.

Do you remember the exact filenames of the reported trojans?

lynnspain

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2004, 11:26:17 PM »
I am afraid the only way to protect your e-mail from receiving unwanted files is not to use it. Otherwise, you cannot avoid it. Many worms (when activated) scan the harddisk for e-mail addresses. If a user gets infected and e.g. has your page (with your e-mail) in the browser cache... the virus can find it and send itself to the address.

Do you remember the exact filenames of the reported trojans?

Yes the file names are:-
ClrSchP038.exe
ClrSchP041.exe
A0041346.exe (Trogan-gen (VC)
A0041347.exe (Trogen-gen (UPX)

The Avast scanner detected and destroyed these files thank goodness. And thanks to following the suggestins of Artras, I have managed to rid myself of the invading Explorer windows from unwanted serach engines.  Thank you all here in the forum for your support.  This has been quite an emtional few days for me ( I live in Spain) God Bless the Spanish - for there respones to the disaster has been amasing.  Even at the jazz club i go to we had a minutes silence tonight and all the speaches were announced in German, English and Spanish.   Not a dry eye in the house.

lynnspain

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2004, 11:27:54 PM »
It is not very likely, but it could be that the systems that host the searchengines are infected. Normally you only get a confirmation that the wesite has been added to their list or that a robot soon will scan your site.

Since you removed the virusses it is safe to power down/reboot. This should not stop your system from working

Thank you I don't seem to have any more un wanted search windows and y computer seems to work quicker when connected to the internet.