Author Topic: Windows clean-up tips list  (Read 2478 times)

Avastfan1

Windows clean-up tips list
« on: January 15, 2008, 12:21:57 AM »
Dear All,

Any suggestions to the below windows XP tune/clean-up list are very welcome and much appreciated!

Especially a list of essential services that shouldn't be disabled on startup (ie. with msconfig) else they would prevent the computer from loading properly.

I am very impressed with the quality of the advice provided on this forum, thanks to all the people who contribute!!!

A friend has asked me to 'tune/clean-up' the laptop with Windows XP running. It is running extremely slowly.

Without knowin the exact problem, not being a computer expert and without buying a new computer, software or taking the computer apart I'm trying to put together a basic list of things to do.

Here is a list of tasks (so far) I shall of doing:
- Run a boot-time scan with Avast Pro 4.7.1098 and latest updated def files
- Download all necessary windows XP security updates from the Microsoft Website
- Clear all Internet Explorer and Firefox cache and temporary files
- Try and delete Internet Explorer and only run Firefox
- Clear the C:\WINDOWS\TEMP directory
- Use Ad-Aware and Spybot (with latest updated file definitions) in safe mode to detect and delete (any) spyware
- Run Windows XP Disk Cleanup (programs/accessories/system tools)
- Run Disk Defragmenter (programs/accessories/system tools)
- Test the harddrive for errors (right-click harddrive in 'my computer' then properties/tools tab/error checking 'check now')
- Uninstall unnecessary programs (settings/control panel/add or remove programs)
- Remove any wallpaper and all unnecessary desktop icons
- Deselect unessential services from loading at startup with msconfig (PLEASE ADVISE ANY ESSENTIAL ONES!!!)
- Going to my computer, properties, advanced tab, settings and deselecting everything except     
    * Animate Windows when minimizing and maximizing
    * Smooth edges of screen fonts
    * Smooth-scroll list boxes
    * Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!!!!!!!!  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Windows clean-up tips list
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 12:47:19 AM »
Especially a list of essential services that shouldn't be disabled on startup (ie. with msconfig) else they would prevent the computer from loading properly.
http://www.beemerworld.com/tips/servicesxp.htm
and the best http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

I am very impressed with the quality of the advice provided on this forum, thanks to all the people who contribute!!!
Welcome, you've find us ;)
The best things in life are free.

Avastfan1

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 12:05:23 AM »
Dear All,

I would like to thank each and every one of you for the time and support, it has been absolutely fantastic!

The problem has been solved and related to a problem/corruption within Windows system files.

After many hours, and following all the helpful advice here, system restore appears to have fixed the problem.

I realise the advice provided on here is given by wonderful people who do so without financial reward, and I cannot express my sincere appreciation enough in words.

So please know that you REALLY helped a person in need and that the kindness you have shown will be returned to you somehow by somebody in life and provide you with help and reward when you need it!

Many thanks again, I am extremely grateful and wish you all the best for the future.

ZA_avastfan.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 12:16:57 AM »
Perform temporary files cleanup in the end, but not after defragmentation. It's important for maximal effect. Doing it in the middle and later removing and installing programs and running defrag won't do as much as in correct order.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog