Author Topic: How to Install Chrome Extensions?  (Read 1145 times)

Offline Jesse31

How to Install Chrome Extensions?
« on: March 22, 2024, 09:07:36 PM »
Avast Secure Browser blurb says "Avast Secure Browser is compatible with other Chrome-based add-ons, so you can further customize your browsing experience to your liking via the Chrome Web Store."
I want to add the extension Group Speed Dial from FastAddons(dot)(com) but I have no idea what the procedure is. The extension does not show up in the Avast store. A blurb from 2018 in the Avast Forum says "You can add extensions in Settings>Advanced>Accessibility>Add Accessibility Features>Open Chrome Web Store" but there is no "Advanced" option in Secure Browser settings.
Thanks for any help.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: How to Install Chrome Extensions?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2024, 09:20:20 PM »
Avast Secure Browser (ASB), the operative word being highlighted.  Part of that security no doubt is restriction on what browser add-ons are allowed 'despite' that wording.
#
Note: I don't work for Avast, just an Avast User and one that doesn't use ASB.  I don't particularly like Chrome and ASB is a Chromium based browser.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.5.6116 (build 24.5.9153.762) UI 1.0.808/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline JosefK

• Avast team
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2024, 10:09:27 AM »
Hello,

ASB allows you to install addons from its own addons store or the Chrome webstore.

So you can install `Group Speed Dial` from the Google's official site https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/group-speed-dial/imfeikbeimbfpmgfkkmjekabdehiiajc?

Kind regards,
Josef

Offline Jesse31

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2024, 02:27:10 AM »
No, ASB does not allow you to install addons from the Chrome webstore to Avast Secure Browser. Only to Chrome browser.

Offline JosefK

• Avast team
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2024, 12:34:38 PM »
Hello Jesse,

Yes, we have another layer of security so that we don't allow installation of untrusted extensions (add-ons and plug-ins), while we freely allow installation of safe, trusted extensions.

So the decision is up to the user if he/she wants to install untrusted extension and possibly compromise his/her computer.

To install an untrusted extension, when you click the `Add to Chrome` button in the Chrome Web Store, you need to allow it in the Extension Guard popup, as shown in the screenshot:

If for some reason the popup does not appear, you can turn off this protection feature completely in the SPC by going to the SPC page:

and by turning off the Extensions Guard feature on the page:

I hope this helps to solve your problem,
Josef