Author Topic: avast will not uninstall on macbook  (Read 946 times)

Offline chels

avast will not uninstall on macbook
« on: March 23, 2024, 04:44:54 PM »
I have tried several times and keep getting and error message when uninstalling, anyone any ideas?

Offline HeidiN

Re: avast will not uninstall on macbook
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2024, 01:59:43 PM »
I'm having the same problem with Avast Cleanup. It will NOT successfully complete uninstall wizard. You cannot force delete the application or kill any of its processes. This is malware behavior.

Talking with avast support was a horrible experience, I ran out of time after quite a while of just turning down all the marketing "o you should buy Avast one instead of uninstalling" and offering me discounts when I stated clearly I WILL NOT BUY, I HAVE NO MONEY. Offered me an initial discount less than the active discount banner on the website to top it off LOL.  I'm going to go back to their support again because this program needs to go, and I'll update my post if I have any luck but really this whole situation feels absolutely disgusting.

Offline prokopes_

• Avast team
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2024, 04:49:37 PM »
I have tried several times and keep getting and error message when uninstalling, anyone any ideas?
Hi @chels, sorry about this! Can you please send us a screenshot showing the error message? Can you please also try uninstalling Avast Security via the "Finder" method? https://support.avast.com/en-us/article/uninstall-mac-security/?option=finder

I'm having the same problem with Avast Cleanup. It will NOT successfully complete uninstall wizard. You cannot force delete the application or kill any of its processes. This is malware behavior.

Talking with avast support was a horrible experience, I ran out of time after quite a while of just turning down all the marketing "o you should buy Avast one instead of uninstalling" and offering me discounts when I stated clearly I WILL NOT BUY, I HAVE NO MONEY. Offered me an initial discount less than the active discount banner on the website to top it off LOL.  I'm going to go back to their support again because this program needs to go, and I'll update my post if I have any luck but really this whole situation feels absolutely disgusting.
Hi @HeidiN, I'm sorry to hear about your experience. I checked with my colleagues, but we could not find any support ticket registered under your email address. Do you perhaps know the ID of your support request?
As for the problem itself, could you please try following the steps below to uninstall Avast Cleanup?
1. Open the Terminal app.
2. Paste and run the following command:
"sudo rm -rf /Applications/AvastCleanup.app/"
3. Once that's done, also run the following command to remove the remaining app files:
"sudo rm -rf ~/Library/Application\ Support/com.avast.cleanup"

Please let me know if it worked.

Offline HeidiN

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2024, 02:49:39 PM »
Thank you for your reply. These steps worked for me.

FYI, before your reply I reached out to avast support again and they said they would elevate my issue and I would receive an email, but I never did even as of today. My case # was 20891367.

I'm glad I was able to get this resolved through the forum, but the official support system is very shady!!

Offline prokopes_

• Avast team
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2024, 04:20:44 PM »
Thank you for the confirmation @HeidiN, I agree we should've helped you in the support ticket. We will try to improve the process asap.