Author Topic: Strange log in issue since latest update  (Read 1586 times)

Offline MrDJ

Strange log in issue since latest update
« on: April 30, 2024, 02:15:15 PM »
Even though both set to avast auto update they never do and this has been ongoing for years. no biggie as i check daily.
Today there was a definition update and a build update. both manually installed and rebooted computer.
popup report said some bug fixes.

now the fun begins.
before this all was running as normal with no issues first thing this morning and all accounts were logged in when opening from my saved bookmark list.
now every single email be it, yahoo, msn, hotmail, work nhs mail and all forums which were all ticked keep logged in ask me to log in each time with the two factor text or email sent to another account with the one time log in code.

there has been no other updates from windows in the last 3 days which shouldnt affect it as 6 hours ago there were no issues.

Any ideas from any of the expert users on here?

edit

after posting this message i closed web page. reopened and already logged out of forum even though keep logged in ticked.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2024, 02:19:10 PM by MrDJ »
Clevo P502 Laptop i7 3720QM 2.60GHz, 16gb ram, Nvidia GTX 680M, Crucial 512 SSD, Windows 10 Pro 64bit, over 12 years old and still super fast.

Offline chris...

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
Re: Strange log in issue since latest update
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2024, 02:46:19 PM »
Thank you for alerting us.

I've just seen that a programme update was available (24.4 apparently).

Given that reporting your logout problem to some (all?) sites would be a major problem for me, I'm going to wait before doing the update.. ;)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2024, 02:48:30 PM by chris... »

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2024, 02:57:55 PM »

I can only see 24.3 production version advertised here on the forum today. There is 24.4 showing in Beta channel.
(unless 24.4 has escaped into the wild as a production version without any notification on the forum again)

Where did you see info of the 24.4 update. On the Avast UI itself? (I dont check there until I see notification on the forum).

Offline MrDJ

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2024, 03:29:34 PM »
Thank you for alerting us.

Given that reporting your logout problem to some (all?) sites would be a major problem for me, I'm going to wait before doing the update.. ;)
Dont blame you mate. everything is affected. emails, forums (4 that ive tried so far) Facebook etc.

I can only see 24.3 production version advertised here on the forum today. There is 24.4 showing in Beta channel.
(unless 24.4 has escaped into the wild as a production version without any notification on the forum again)

Where did you see info of the 24.4 update. On the Avast UI itself? (I dont check there until I see notification on the forum).
both the updates were sitting in the UI settings> updates and were red. both have been ticked for years to auto update which the definitions usually does auto install but the builds are always sitting there waiting for a manul click to install even though also ticked to auto update.
even though dated 24th april it wasnt there yesterday.

when logging in on here i always have the box ticked to keep signed in. no joy as as soon as i close the page and come back to the forum its logged out again. password auto fills from avast passwords ok. ive never ticked the popup box for windows to remember the password so may have to try that next.

Edit

just found a load of emails from Avast Email Gaurdian on my phone  saying Paused for this mailbox "we have lost access to this online mailbox"
« Last Edit: April 30, 2024, 04:10:19 PM by MrDJ »
Clevo P502 Laptop i7 3720QM 2.60GHz, 16gb ram, Nvidia GTX 680M, Crucial 512 SSD, Windows 10 Pro 64bit, over 12 years old and still super fast.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2024, 04:52:34 PM »
@ MrDJ
Avast has been pretty tardy with posting new version information in the forums.

I have Program Updates set to Manual and so far no notification/s of a new program update and no forced update. 
Nor do you mention the Avast Mobile Security version you have on your phone. 

But if I check the UI Menu > Settings > Update - it shows a new update is available. 
see attached screenshot.

I usually wait a while before updating even when an update is available.  A long time ago I used to take part in the beta testing and they were pretty much bulletproof - but now even regular release updates aren't bullet proof.  To my mind, that suggests that Alpha Testing and Beta Testing aren't picking up bugs.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2024, 04:54:16 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline MrDJ

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2024, 05:07:36 PM »
Thanks for reply David.

on phone i wasnt going to pay more to have avast on there so i have Norton which comes free with BT landline and broadband.
no issue on phone as far as i can tell as i am still receiving emails for all the security logins im having to do on every pc login for mail, forums,facebook each time i close firefox. forums and facebook are all still logged in on phone with no issues.

like you i used to wait a while before updating but as defonitions needed manually updating this morning i also done the program. that will teach me.
only thing i could find in avast so far was emails on phone saying avast eail gaurdian was paused so checked and it was turned off and wouldnt turn on. had to go through the whole log in via email again to un pause it then it would switch on.
everything is still being logged out still every time i close firefox or move away to a new page. go back withing a few seconds and all logged out again.

Offline chris...

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2024, 05:22:37 PM »

It's already the 3rd version this year that a programme update has been mentioned via the UI without being announced on the forum.

Seeing that an update was available via my UI (As in DavidR's screenshot above) and reading this topic, in particular MrDJ's screenshot, I first assumed that if I carried out the proposed update, I'd be on version 24.4.

Then I downloaded the file available on the forum for version 24.3 and the details of this file show the version 24.4 created yesterday (see my screenshot).
« Last Edit: April 30, 2024, 05:26:22 PM by chris... »

Offline chris...

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2024, 05:34:05 PM »
everything is still being logged out still every time i close firefox or move away to a new page. go back withing a few seconds and all logged out again.
All that's left is to wait for other testers  ;) to check whether the problem is due to the update itself or something that's gone wrong for you, or even a coincidence.

Offline MrDJ

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2024, 05:47:39 PM »
thanks Chris. looks like ive just got to suck it up and wait.

just google firefox issues for email log in with quite a few replies but from years ago.
just logged back in here and the tick box to stay logged in is unticked again. i use autofill from avast password manager but have also ticked the popup for windows to save them now but once again as soon as brouser closed and reopened its logged out again. same with facebook which has been continuously logged in since 2012 until today :(

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2024, 07:39:05 PM »
Avast just posted release of 24.4 topic - see https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=327345.0
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline MrDJ

« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2024, 09:55:20 PM »
Thanks David. ive asked question on there.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2024, 10:46:16 PM »
Hopefully you will get a response as a result of your post in that topic.

Given the possible ramifications, I feel since this is a new undocumented function there needs to be a description of its actins.

I follow the beta topics and I can't recall seeing anything about this new feature/function.
One point to note 'I don't use the Avast Password Manager', but I don't know if that is the cause of your grief.

Offline MrDJ

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2024, 12:33:34 PM »
Thanks David.
password manager is still working fine and auto loads the login credentials but it looks like the tick box option to stay logged in on all platforms doesnt work anymore and is overwritten by this new cookie and password policy. as soon as the brouser is closed it loggs you out each time. On this forum its not too bad as all i get now is the picture click all the cars or busses to prove your a human but a few times i get 4 or 5 pictures before it logs in.
its the emails which are a pita as the two factor authentication which wont let me set a phone number text option and only allows a second email to receive the code. so if i log into msn or hotmail it sends a code to yahoo but i have to make sure im logged into yahoo first to receive the code. luckily backup is opening email on mobile phone but it can take anything upto 15 minutes yesterday for the emails to be pushed through.
only other option is to keep tabs open with the emails logged in but sometimes forget and close the whole brouser by mistake and we are back to square one of logging in again.

as menioned above, ive not even noticed this page before.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2024, 01:19:18 PM »

Well from the new release topic https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=327345.0 for version 24.4
Quote from: Extract
Browser cookie protection – Password Protection now protects you against cookie theft. This new functionality helps protect your sensitive data that is stored in your browser cookies.

Further down in that topic, it would appear that this is only on paid versions of Avast, so I won't see it.

Offline chris...

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2024, 01:26:28 PM »
I think that browser protection (previously called password protection, see my screenshot on a non-updated PC) is different from password manager.
As far as I'm concerned, on the PC where I did the update, I don't use the avast password manager, but I use the new browser protection (cookie and password policy) as used before without the coockies protection.
In any case, I don't have any logon issue every time I re-open my browser.
If you have a problem, it may not be related to the new function, or it may be related to password manager.
By any chance, have you tried to repair avast?

« Last Edit: May 01, 2024, 01:32:57 PM by chris... »