Author Topic: Strange log in issue since latest update  (Read 1584 times)

Offline chris...

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
Re: Strange log in issue since latest update
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2024, 01:40:06 PM »
new browser data protection on my avast updated pc
« Last Edit: May 01, 2024, 01:42:01 PM by chris... »

Online MrDJ

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2024, 03:13:14 PM »
I think that browser protection (previously called password protection, see my screenshot on a non-updated PC) is different from password manager.
As far as I'm concerned, on the PC where I did the update, I don't use the avast password manager, but I use the new browser protection (cookie and password policy) as used before without the coockies protection.
In any case, I don't have any logon issue every time I re-open my browser.
If you have a problem, it may not be related to the new function, or it may be related to password manager.
By any chance, have you tried to repair avast?
I havnt tried a repair yet as not sure which part to try.
5 minutes ago i thought it had been fixed as changing pages were all staying logged in. that is until i noticed id got a tab open from a government commons video i was watching earlier. once again as soon as i closed that all were logged out again. also happening to youtube which id not mentioned before.

i guess a workaround is keeping a tab open on firefox all day then all stay logged in when i go to each individual page.
Clevo P502 Laptop i7 3720QM 2.60GHz, 16gb ram, Nvidia GTX 680M, Crucial 512 SSD, Windows 10 Pro 64bit, over 12 years old and still super fast.

Offline chris...

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2024, 04:09:23 PM »
It would be better to understand why this is happening to you.

We'll have to wait until more people have updated (especially those using password manager) but no-one has yet reported such a problem, so I'm leaning more towards something that went wrong for you.

Have you tried using a browser other than Firefox?

Have you tried disabling the (new) browser protection or unchecking the cookies box?

Online MrDJ

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2024, 04:23:28 PM »
just been onto support through chat. i posted the forum link to show pics but dont think he looked as kept asking to try chrome instead of firefox, that was after the oh we have special offers for you of vpn and cleanup yada yada.
he then said what makes you think it is avast causing the issue. so i said you did read above where i said it worked fine all morning until i updated then rebooted and issue since.
so i tried chrome, had to wait once again for two factor code to other email and logged in but of course as i had the chat tab open to avast the email stayed logged in. i then tried closing the msn and yahoo email tabs and turned avast off. logged in again and closed.
then opened again and low and behold the emails stayed logged in. turned avast back on, closed emails and tried again and logged out. in the end had to end the chat to check if i was logged out of all emails and i was.
so in simple terms, turning avast off altogether solves the issue and emails stay logged in. so next will turn off the brouser data protection only and try all the emails again.
Clevo P502 Laptop i7 3720QM 2.60GHz, 16gb ram, Nvidia GTX 680M, Crucial 512 SSD, Windows 10 Pro 64bit, over 12 years old and still super fast.

Online MrDJ

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2024, 04:36:51 PM »
so proof
avast turned off. all forums stay logged in and so do all emails.
multiple closure of firefox and still logged in.
turn on avast then open firefox and all logged out.

then left avast running except i turned the new brouser data protection off for 10 minutes. all forums and emails stay logged in with no issues. closed and opened firefox a few times and all still logged in.

and as soon as i reactivate brouser data protection all forums and emails are logged out again.

Offline chris...

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2024, 06:12:52 PM »
Now just try unchecking the "cookie protection" box in the browser's data protection settings

Online MrDJ

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2024, 06:46:59 PM »
Now just try unchecking the "cookie protection" box in the browser's data protection settings
sorry mate, already unticked in firefox.

should i untick cookies in avast below

Offline chris...

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2024, 11:23:40 PM »
Yes, because it's not the same thing.

This is just to see if it's the new function that's causing the problem

Password protection already existed before, but cookie protection has just appeared.

Online MrDJ

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2024, 11:42:00 PM »
Since last post ive kept a tab open in firefox and everything stayed logged in.
just closed the tab and all logged out again.
unticked the cookie protect box in avast UI and all logged back in again so this was the culprit.

at least that saves having a tab open all the time.
problem solved but still cant understand how more people havnt been affected by this. may be due to staggered roll out around the world and some havnt got it yet or not installed it.
Oh well workaround is here now for others.
Thanks all for the replies.

Offline chris...

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2024, 12:03:47 PM »
problem solved but still cant understand how more people havnt been affected by this. may be due to staggered roll out around the world and some havnt got it yet or not installed it.
Or they don't encounter the problem at all. ;)

As I said, I've installed the update on 3 computers and I use Firefox essentially on all 3. I have no problem maintaining login on my various sites, even those that use 2FA (gmail, hotmail, ....).

If you have the same problem with other browsers, it may be due to password manager (which I don't use) or something that went wrong with the update.

In this case, if in a while no-one has come to complain about the same problem, you might want to consider reinstalling avast properly.

Have you tried avast repair? It doesn't take long, so it might be worth a try.

https://support.avast.com/article/repair-antivirus/#pc

Online MrDJ

« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2024, 02:15:39 PM »
Its a weird one. as no two setups are the same its trial and error until we find the solution.
I have nord vpn but i dont think its that.
as the unticking the cookie box in avast has totally solved the issue then im happy to roll with that for now and leave it unticked.
Thanks for all the help so far.

Offline El Narizon

• Die Forensoftware ist nicht zeitgemäß
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2024, 03:55:05 PM »
As I use Avast Free Antivirus and so can not use "Browser Data Protection" or "Cookie Protection" I wonder why I also suffer from that new introduced feature of being logged out of all tabs in Firefox after closing the browser.

I guess those parts of that new feature are activated even when Avast Free Antivirus is used.

And as there is no UI for those as they're not "officially" activated I cannot fiddle with them.

This is my private PC, not a public library machine so please let me have my website cookies stay. I'm not a fan of incapacitation.

How to fix? Rollback Avast?

Edit:
Allright, it seems to be a one time occurance after the update of Avast and the reboot. But that never happened before that an Avast update deleted browser cookies.
I will observe this the next hours.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2024, 04:00:06 PM by El Narizon »

Online MrDJ

« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2024, 09:14:04 PM »
I was just about to say YAY im not the only one but then read your last bit. so hopefully a one off for you.
I have no idea if this new part is only in the paid version.
when you open avast on the left have you got a privacy tab on the left hand side. if so have a look in there.

Online MrDJ

« Reply #28 on: Yesterday at 01:21:44 PM »
Thanks to avast support there is a fix.
for some reason avast had added firefox to my blocked list.
removing from the blocked list and re ticking cookies im not logged out anymore.

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=327453.msg1718929#msg1718929