Author Topic: Is this a false negative warning?  (Read 535 times)

Offline michael.gladu

Is this a false negative warning?
« on: May 01, 2024, 12:14:57 AM »
I'm getting a popup from Avast that is blocked Phishing Malware when I go to open Allstays Pro website. I tried to contact Allstays but never got a response. The popup started showing 2 days before my new Allstays Pro annual billing cycle. Seems I'm unable to add a screenshot of the pop-up here.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Is this a false negative warning?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2024, 12:55:31 AM »
Is this a false negative warning?
False negative = something malicious is not detected

False positive = something clean is detected as malicious

So in Your case when avast is detecting a website, it will be correct (positive) or wrong (false positive)

Seems I'm unable to add a screenshot of the pop-up here.
See below the box you write in attachments and other options

« Last Edit: May 01, 2024, 01:08:13 AM by Pondus »

Offline michael.gladu

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2024, 01:44:11 AM »
Thank you. The correct question- Is this a false positive? Please see attachment-

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2024, 03:06:34 AM »
Since you didn't select the Details option before the screenshot we can't see the URL.

I did a google search on Allstays Pro website and visited the site at the top of the results and no avast alert.
hXXps://wXw.allstays.com/DL/ the latter /DL/ I suspect is a redirect from the main domain.  Note I have broken the link (replacing some of the URL prefixes) to prevent it being active.

Is this the URL you were/are getting the alert on ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline michael.gladu

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2024, 03:17:11 AM »
Not precisely that exact URL but when I log in to the next page with my credentials the Avast warning pop-up appears. I will try to log in again now to it...OK, now I'm getting a red Chrome warning that it's a dangerous site when I try to log in! I depend heavily on Allstays Pro for RV trip planning. Maybe Allstays Pro has been hacked?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2024, 03:34:10 AM »
A screenshot with the Details option selected before the screenshot would help.  We can't see the URL, so it is virtually impossible to investigate.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline michael.gladu

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2024, 03:38:18 AM »
This is the URL and the red Chrome warning that is displaying now when I attempt to Login to Allstays Pro-

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2024, 04:33:48 AM »
But that isn't an Avast Alert but one related to Chrome.

Looking back at your first images I see the URL is new-adversting.com and that gets several hits on VirusTotal
https://www.virustotal.com/gui/url/c3e4ec3259a0605d5c360de048b260d6e17f9a1c0ee68ec6bbb24b24bb6e8256?nocache=1 - also look at the Details tab in these results.
Note Avast doesn't do on-demand scans of websites only live scans when a user visits a site or there would be more...

Also note that this domain is indicating it is Russian and a check on it returns a low level of trust - https://sites.ipaddress.com/new-adversting.com/ - note this is a checking site and not a direct link to the suspect site.

So given the 'live alert' by avast, also by Chrome and the ones on virustotal I doubt that this is a false positive.  Though I can't be positive as an Avast user and not an Avast Team member.

Offline michael.gladu

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2024, 05:09:55 AM »
quote- "Looking back at your first images I see the URL is new-adversting.com and that gets several hits on VirusTotal
https://www.virustotal.com/gui/url/c3e4ec3259a0605d5c360de048b260d6e17f9a1c0ee68ec6bbb24b24bb6e8256?nocache=1 - also look at the Details tab in these results.
Note Avast doesn't do on-demand scans of websites only live scans when a user visits a site or there would be more..."

Thank you, could it be new-adversting.com was attempting to hijack Allstays Pro URL? No matter whether I used a stored Allstays Pro bookmark or a Google link the Avast warning popup appeared when I attempted to log in to Allstays Pro. Since the warning appears when I attempt to log-in, it would be impossible for you to replicate this Avast warning or Google warning without being an Allstays Pro member, correct? I have petitioned some members on one of my RV tech forums to see if they are having a similar problem with Allstays Pro and/or Avast and Google.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2024, 01:06:45 PM »
<snip quote>
Thank you, could it be new-adversting.com was attempting to hijack Allstays Pro URL? No matter whether I used a stored Allstays Pro bookmark or a Google link the Avast warning popup appeared when I attempted to log in to Allstays Pro. Since the warning appears when I attempt to log-in, it would be impossible for you to replicate this Avast warning or Google warning without being an Allstays Pro member, correct? I have petitioned some members on one of my RV tech forums to see if they are having a similar problem with Allstays Pro and/or Avast and Google.

I honestly don't know as the Avast alert is on a different domain to that which Chrome is alerting on, nor how they are related.  But the Chrome warning, given the info I found earlier on it particularly the second link I posted in reply #7 would make me very suspicious of it. 

Avast doesn't just check the URL you visited but would also check external/3rd party links and according to your first two images, this appears to be what it is alerting on, when you logon.  That is why using the see Details (which I have mentioned) could give more information.

As an Avast User there is only so much that I can do and information is the key to doing that. 
My problem is how would you get to the Chrome Alert without having Avast alerting earlier in that process.