Author Topic: How to disable driver check in Smart Scan  (Read 369 times)

Offline Bumas53

How to disable driver check in Smart Scan
« on: May 03, 2024, 10:21:34 PM »
Current version of Avast AV performs the Smart Scan in four steps: Operating System, Viruses & malware, Advanced issues, and Performance issues. The last stage of the Smart Scan shows me always a list of outdated drivers. Recently, I've tried to proceed and subscribed trial version of Driver Updater. Alas, the Driver Updater made my system corrupted and I had to roll back several drivers manually (e.g. Realtek audio driver).

Moreover, the driver versions suggested by DU were not available either in Microsoft Windows Update or Intel Driver & Support Assistant. So I decided not to use Avast Driver Updater any more and cancelled the subscription. However, it is quite annoying to get driver update suggestions with each run of Smart Scan, which must be manually skipped. I tried to find a solution for disabling that (even in geek:area section of Avast Settings) but without success.

Is there any way to disable driver update check in Smart Scan??

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: How to disable driver check in Smart Scan
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2024, 12:46:27 AM »
The easy way is not to bother with a Smart Scan - it is more a vehicle for paid products - Driver Updater, etc.

In all seriousness, with a resident (on-access) scanner the need for on-demand scans and that includes the Smart Scan, is much depreciated. For the most part dormant/inert files are being scanned, the other active files are going to be scanned by the resident shields when they are activated.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
Re: How to disable driver check in Smart Scan
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2024, 07:51:50 AM »
OP is likely instantiating Smart Scan.  Correct in stating there is a setting to turn off automatic Smart Scan to Never but don't think that is what the OP meant.

Best course is to not run Smart Scan at all as DavidR says.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Microsoft Windows Defender - Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI version 1.0.803