Author Topic: Where to look for an offline installer  (Read 1649 times)

Offline heboyay341

Where to look for an offline installer
« on: May 09, 2024, 11:15:00 AM »
I have 2 old computers with Windows 7 32-bit and 64-bit. Windows 10 is not supported. I downloaded the online installer from the official website, but the installation was unsuccessful. It constantly interrupts and does not update the anti-virus databases. Where can I download the offline installer on the official website and how can I update the databases offline?
If possible, not just download links, but please describe the full path, where to click and what links to follow to get the files you are looking for.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Where to look for an offline installer
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2024, 01:01:31 PM »
I have 2 old computers with Windows 7 32-bit and 64-bit. 
Drop Windows and install ChromeOS Flex

https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=324963.msg1710917#msg1710917

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2024, 01:03:56 PM »
Unfortunately the download won't work on Win7 as support for it ceased in 2023 - Unless you can find an old version of Avast (frozen in time) that supported win7

Avast doesn't retain old versions of Avast for distribution, so you would have to find an old installation file from another source.  However, you would have to lock that in so it can't update the program, virus definitions may still work, but for how long is also debatable.

See https://support.avast.com/en-gb/article/antivirus-windows-7-faq/#pc
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline heboyay341

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2024, 01:30:56 PM »
I have 2 old computers with Windows 7 32-bit and 64-bit. 
Drop Windows and install ChromeOS Flex
I want to use Windows.

Offline heboyay341

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2024, 01:33:24 PM »
Unfortunately the download won't work on Win7 as support for it ceased in 2023 - Unless you can find an old version of Avast (frozen in time) that supported win7

Avast doesn't retain old versions of Avast for distribution, so you would have to find an old installation file from another source.  However, you would have to lock that in so it can't update the program, virus definitions may still work, but for how long is also debatable.

You gave me a link to the support site, where it says that Avast supports Windows 7. On the official website, when downloading the online installer, in the system requirements section it says that Windows 7 is supported.

Offline Cluster-Lizard2014

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2024, 03:19:34 PM »
It surprised me that the AVAST.com download pages for the most recent installer clearly states that AVAST still supports Windows 7 32/64bit.

https://www.avast.com/en-gb/free-antivirus-download#pc

However I've also found download links to AVAST.com, under System Requirements, that say AVAST still supports VISTA and XP.

https://www.avast.com/windows-7-antivirus#pc

It looks like somebody is not policing the download links to outdated support information.

The links to the latest installer download do say that Windows 7 Starter and RT editions are not supported. I'm not sure what the "RT edition" of Windows 7 is. I think they meant RTM edition (Release To Manufacturing).   

Anyway whatever it means could the use of either be the AVAST installer problem here?

« Last Edit: May 10, 2024, 12:53:07 AM by Cluster-Lizard2014 »

Offline heboyay341

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2024, 04:01:46 PM »
It surprised me that the AVAST.com download pages for the most recent installer clearly states that AVAST still supports Windows 32/64bit.

https://www.avast.com/en-gb/free-antivirus-download#pc

However I've also found download links to AVAST.com, under System Requirements, that say AVAST still supports VISTA and XP.

https://www.avast.com/windows-7-antivirus#pc

It looks like somebody is not policing the download links to outdated support information.

The links to the latest installer download do say that Windows 7 Starter and RT editions are not supported. I'm not sure what the "RT edition" of Windows 7 is. I think they meant RTM edition (Release To Manufacturing).   

Anyway whatever it means could the use of either be the AVAST installer problem here?
I was also surprised that Windows 7 is supported. and that makes me happy. But the online installer performs the operation with an error, so I need an offline installer.
Windows RT is a system for ARM architecture.

Offline tmod700

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2024, 04:39:42 PM »

It seems the info posted by Avast contradicts your statement, If Avast has indeed cut support for Win7 then they need to remove this from the site.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2024, 05:30:09 PM by tmod700 »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2024, 04:51:40 PM »
"Windows 7" is a bit too vague. If you've got Windows 7 with all updates (let's say at least before the paid/extended support kicked in), then I believe latest Avast should work [unless you've got a really old CPU not supporting SSE2 instruction set, or something like that). However, a really old Windows 7, e.g. without SP1 or without SHA-2 signing update (there may be other required updates to be installed, I honestly don't know), that won't work.

I suggest to post a log from the unsuccessful installation, maybe it has some useful information.

Offline heboyay341

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2024, 05:07:30 PM »
"Windows 7" is a bit too vague. If you've got Windows 7 with all updates (let's say at least before the paid/extended support kicked in), then I believe latest Avast should work [unless you've got a really old CPU not supporting SSE2 instruction set, or something like that). However, a really old Windows 7, e.g. without SP1 or without SHA-2 signing update (there may be other required updates to be installed, I honestly don't know), that won't work.

I suggest to post a log from the unsuccessful installation, maybe it has some useful information.
I don't know how to make an installation log.
I have Windows 7 SP1 Home Basic. I am doing a clean installation of the operating system and immediately want to install Avast Free antivirus, after which I only want to connect to the Internet. I want to have computer protection. before connecting to the Internet.
Before reinstalling the operating system, I installed Avast version 21.2.2455 (build 21.2.6096.705). Yes. It was not possible to upgrade to a newer one and I constantly saw a notification that I needed to upgrade the version of the operating system in order to get the new version of Avast. At the same time, the anti-virus databases were updated daily and I was protected.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2024, 05:18:52 PM by heboyay341 »

Offline tmod700

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2024, 05:17:03 PM »

I don't know how to make an installation log.
I have Windows 7 SP1 Home Basic. I am doing a clean installation of the operating system and immediately want to install Avast Free antivirus, after which I only want to connect to the Internet. I want to have computer protection. before connecting to the Internet.
Have you tried this link? https://www.avast.com/en-us/download-thank-you.php?product=FAV-AVAST&locale=en-us&direct=1

Offline heboyay341

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2024, 05:23:05 PM »

Thanks for the clarification Igor.

That said, these old Avast links need updating in relation to Windows 7 and versions.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline tmod700

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2024, 05:24:32 PM »
Have you tried this link? https://www.avast.com/en-us/download-thank-you.php?product=FAV-AVAST&locale=en-us&direct=1
How did you find this link?
Just searched "Avast downloads" and away we went. Gives the option for online or offline downloads.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2024, 05:31:39 PM »
How did you find this link?
The off-line installation file URL is posted on each new Avast program update Notification and it always pulls down the latest avast version not the version number where it was posted.

e.g. I just downloaded that off-line installation file and it downloads Avast 24.4.9067.0, so I don't know where that sits within compatibility given what 'igor' said.