Author Topic: Is Avast still using Jumpshot for data acquisition on their current products?  (Read 360 times)

Offline tmod700

Just wondering if they are still using Jumpshot to acquire information from the users?

I am not implying anything other then the collection of data if you have those selection boxes checked.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2024, 05:01:06 PM by tmod700 »

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
Just wondering if they are still using Jumpshot to acquire information from the users?
No. That was closed down years back.
See: https://press.avast.com/en-gb/avast-to-commence-wind-down-of-subsidiary-jumpshot

If you are referring to Settings>Personal Privacy. I would tick the first item "Share suspicious file samples...", but leave the others items unticked.

Offline tmod700

No. That was closed down years back.
See: https://press.avast.com/en-gb/avast-to-commence-wind-down-of-subsidiary-jumpshot

If you are referring to Settings>Personal Privacy. I would tick the first item "Share suspicious file samples...", but leave the others items unticked.
I disabled all of that feedback stuff but in my search to find why I am not able to restore quarantined files I ran across 122 references to Jumpshot in the files.

I had thought the same as you that all of that was taken down and removed.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2024, 06:31:16 PM by tmod700 »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
What files?

Maybe a bit of a history... many years ago, Jumpshot was a company Avast acquired; the company's product was a linux-based bootable CD, a system optimization tool (see e.g. here). Parts of the code have been merged into Avast source code, and part of that remains there even today. The bootable CD product itself didn't really make it... and years later, the catchy name (and domain) "Jumpshot" was repurposed for something completely unrelated - an analytics company/spin-off; that's the Jumpshot you are referring to.

So, if you mean Avast program files - yes, you can find some instances of the word "Jumpshot" there. However, it's the original Jumsphot, i.e. the cleanup-related code. It's got nothing to do with "Jumpshot" - analytics company (where the analytics was done on backends and there was very little code locally - i.e. that code was never part of Avast program files).
« Last Edit: May 09, 2024, 11:23:13 PM by igor »

Offline tmod700

What files?

Maybe a bit of a history... many years ago, Jumpshot was a company Avast acquired; the company's product was a linux-based bootable CD, a system optimization tool (see e.g. here). Parts of the code have been merged into Avast source code, and part of that remains there even today. The bootable CD product itself didn't really make it... and years later, the catchy name (and domain) "Jumpshot" was repurposed for something completely unrelated - an analytics company/spin-off; that's the Jumpshot you are referring to.

So, if you mean Avast program files - yes, you can find some instances of the word "Jumpshot" there. However, it's the original Jumsphot, i.e. the cleanup-related code. It's got nothing to do with "Jumpshot" - analytics company (where the analytics was done on backends and there was very little code locally - i.e. that code was never part of Avast program files).
Thanks for that reply and that explains the code still being there. I never knew of the cleanup part of it only the analytics side of things.