Author Topic: Install Limbo  (Read 340 times)

Offline eLIANT

Install Limbo
« on: May 12, 2024, 01:02:18 AM »
Installing Avast Free was at 75% when PC crashed.  Now when rebooted the 75% progress screen pops, but does not continue.  I can't restart the install, and I can't uninstall because Avast is not installed.  I tried Clear but I cant turn off safeguard because, again, Avast is not installed.

I am PC Admin but I can't modify stats.ini because it thinks its open under a different program (it's not).

I'm comfortable editing registry if that's what it takes.

Any suggestions on clearing and reinstalling, or completing the installation that's already underway?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Install Limbo
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2024, 01:47:45 AM »
We don't know what Avast product you were trying to install or anything about your system (OS, existing anti-virus, what Avast product you were trying to install, etc) so it is hard to advise on a resolution.

You could try a Clean Reinstall - 1. - Download the avast! Uninstall Utility, avastclear.exe https://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility and save it to your HDD. Make a note of the steps required or print the page.
2. - Download the latest Avast off-line installation file for your Avast Program Free: https://files.avast.com/iavs9x/avast_free_antivirus_setup_offline.exe and save to your HDD.

Follow the instructions in the link in 1.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.5.6116 (build 24.5.9153.762) UI 1.0.808/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Dinobot2

• Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2024, 04:59:01 AM »
They were installing Avast Free.

Offline eLIANT

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2024, 05:37:06 AM »
Thanks Dinobot2, for noticing that.

Also, I said "I tried Clear."  That's the Avast Clear Uninstaller that didn't work.
Finally, I said "I can't modify stats.ini"  That's the first step when attempting to follow the "Uninstall Avast using Command Prompt" instructions from the uninstall-utility link sent by DavidR.
Last, I downloaded the offline-setup.exe DavidR suggested.  It's been running for about an hour with no progress bar displayed.  I'll let it run all night, but not holding my breath.

Anyone else have an idea?

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2024, 07:31:36 AM »
  • What is the OS?
  • Do you know what caused the system crash?
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Microsoft Windows Defender - Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI version 1.0.803