Author Topic: Support for Firefox removed without notice  (Read 1228 times)

Offline Ian78

Support for Firefox removed without notice
« on: May 15, 2024, 10:11:34 AM »
Anyone else horrified to get a pop up informing that Avast no longer support Firefox? I use Firefox on my Android phone as well as my desktop
so I suppose that cover is also gone? I have no wish to be forced to use chrome or edge so any ideas please?

Offline Ian78

Re: Support for Firefox removed without notice
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2024, 11:09:29 AM »
Thanks but I have already read that link. However as I don't want to be forced to change to either chrome or edge I was hoping someone could suggest something.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot

Offline Cluster-Lizard2014

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2024, 02:33:13 PM »
The matter is likely trivial - you do not need the AVAST FF browser extension.

FF has enough built in security features and you can always install ad blockers and any number of alternative real time online anti-malware tools like Malwarebytes Browser Guard, which apparently supports Android, if you're paranoid.

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2024, 04:20:41 PM »
I posted this yesterday when I found out. https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=327475.0

Offline Leo3487

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2024, 04:56:59 PM »
Thanks but I have already read that link. However as I don't want to be forced to change to either chrome or edge I was hoping someone could suggest something.

Malwarebytes Browser Guard

Offline Ian78

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2024, 09:46:18 PM »
Hi everyone who were kind enough to answer. You have given me a couple of good ideas to try. As for paranoia? Yes I admit to that a little after all these years  :D

Offline Ian78

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2024, 09:54:52 PM »
I posted this yesterday when I found out. https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=327475.0

Hi rocksteady,  sorry but l didn't see your post before I posted mine. Good to know that I was not the only person concerned.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2024, 10:15:43 PM »

Hi rocksteady,  sorry but l didn't see your post before I posted mine. Good to know that I was not the only person concerned.

My personal feelings on the browser extension:
It is a very long time ago that I used this, in all honesty I wasn't that impressed with the additional graffiti (icons) in the search results. So I abandoned it in Firefox, my default browser and continue with my own common sense in what search results that I select.  I have never felt any less protected.

The Web Shield, still covers your ass in what you choose to click.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline jackstraw65

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2024, 10:08:53 PM »
Seems you have some clear insight into this, so if you would kindly indulge a clueless luddite Gen Xer:
   I use only Firefox and have had avast for a few years (refuse to switch to Chrome or the other one). So with the browser extension now cut off, you suggest that avast will still offer other protection online even though Firefox is my sole browser?? Sorry, that must be so elementary but their implication almost seems to be "switch your browser or proceed at your own risk".... also, I agree their "rationale" for needing to drop support on Firefox sounds like gobbledygook.      Thanks

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2024, 10:45:23 PM »
The Web Shield is your primary defence against on-line malware/malicious sites, etc.
You only have to look at the old search results to see that not every entry had the Avast tick/check mark along side it (only those it knew about or had information). 
Even those sites with that check mark would be scanned by the Web Shield when you try to connect.

The web shield was there way before the avast browser extension came into being.

Firefox, has a much smaller user base when you compare it with Chromium based browsers, so the workload to maintain this for Firefox, is exponentially greater than it is to support all of the chromium based browsers. 

Both Firefox and Chromium based browsers have frequent browser updates, so the workload is high to maintain compatibility with the browsers and the Avast Browser Security app.  Given the overhead isn't directly proportionate to the size of the browser user-base, something has to give.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security