Author Topic: license activate problem  (Read 658 times)

Offline krypton

• Poster
license activate problem
« on: May 15, 2024, 05:45:20 PM »
hello

i am not able to see license file upload option in avast free antivirus. the license file to upload in avast software is disabled in my avast. how to insert license file?
LAPTOP: LENOVO G50, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB HARD DISK, AVAST PREMIUM SECURITY 2020, WINDOWS 8.1

Offline Lano

Re: license activate problem
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2024, 02:51:22 AM »
Did you try Ctrl+V?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2024, 03:13:29 AM »
hello

i am not able to see license file upload option in avast free antivirus. the license file to upload in avast software is disabled in my avast. how to insert license file?

Avast Free shouldn't need to enter an Activation code as such.

When you install it should be tired to your email and Avast Account.
Come renewal time, you just renew, Avast does the rest activating/renewing it for another year.  You don't have to re-enter again.

What does Avast Show if you go to the Tray Icon > Registration Information > ?
I have highlighted the important bit image 2 you would have to have made a purchase.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.5.6116 (build 24.5.9153.762) UI 1.0.808/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lano

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2024, 01:48:29 PM »
hello

When you install it should be tired to your email and Avast Account.
Come renewal time, you just renew, Avast does the rest activating/renewing it for another year.  You don't have to re-enter again.

I have highlighted the important bit image 2 you would have to have made a purchase.
It depends where/how you purchase your pro license. For 10+ years I have purchased mine from an Amazon Store or Newegg. You are provided a software download link and an authorization code to enter into your installed software. Krypton's screenshot appears to be the same screen where you enter this data, and I remember that right-click-paste does not work in this field. You must use Ctrl+V. This type of purchase is not associated with an email address, a myavast account, or a specific device.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2024, 02:21:29 PM »
hello

When you install it should be tied to your email and Avast Account.

It depends where/how you purchase your pro license. For 10+ years I have purchased mine from an Amazon Store or Newegg. You are provided a software download link and an authorization code to enter into your installed software. Krypton's screenshot appears to be the same screen where you enter this data, and I remember that right-click-paste does not work in this field. You must use Ctrl+V. This type of purchase is not associated with an email address, a myavast account, or a specific device.

I'm unsure what version krypton has installed:
Quote from: krypton
i am not able to see license file upload option in avast free antivirus.

That said his Signature reports "AVAST PREMIUM SECURITY 2020," but as you say (and in my image 2) he has to have the email with key to enter and upgrade Avast Free to the paid product.

It isn't that clear unfortunately.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.5.6116 (build 24.5.9153.762) UI 1.0.808/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline wdunwoody

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2024, 12:46:04 AM »
I am having a similar problem "reactivating" Avast Free. I've used it for many, many years without issue. I would get a pop-up telling me the one year free license was about to expire. I would click on "reactivate", get a screen that asked me to choose between "free" and "premium". I'd click on "free" and it was renewed for a year...

But this year, nothing I do will reactivate Avast Free. I get the "reactivate" screen and click "reactivate". It takes me to the "selection" screen showing "free" or "premium"... but clicking "free" does absolutely nothing. I've done this... a dozen times to no avail. I will occasionally get a pop-up window offering a one year "deal" on a premium subscription... but there is no option click "no" or to choose the free version.

I will say that even though the Avast UI says "You are not protected", I notice that the virus definitions are still updating every day. I will also note that I am using Mozilla Firefox.

How can I reactivate Avast Free for another year?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2024, 01:47:50 AM »
I haven't seen this in February time my free renewal period.

For some considerable time there has been no gracious way to say no thanks - but it didn't have a Free option - so the only way out essentially is to use the X top right to close that window. That did renew for a further year.
That has been the way for me for many years.

Personally since this is specifically about Avast Free it should really be in its own topic.  Primarily if this is a new path for free renewal there are going to be many others with this issue.

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2024, 11:57:19 AM »
@wdunwoody
Which version of Avast Free are you using?
I for one have found problems renewing older Avast Free v18 with screens and tray icon showing same symptoms you mention.
ref: https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=220639.msg1705524#msg1705524

Offline wdunwoody

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2024, 10:33:03 PM »
Rocksteady... I am using Avast Free V18.7.2354 (build 18.07.4041.389) on Win7 Pro.

Offline rocksteady

• Super Poster
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2024, 10:17:09 AM »
Rocksteady... I am using Avast Free V18.7.2354 (build 18.07.4041.389) on Win7 Pro.

That explains it. You found the same issue as me with V18 on WinXP.

As this has been on-going for many months, there seems to be little apetite for Avast to fix the annual licence renewal issue affecting Avast Free V18.

Whist there is a redX in the tray icon, defs are updated OK and it is possible to do on demand scans. But I do not know if the shields are effective or not.