Author Topic: How to change the icon in system tray  (Read 587 times)

Offline Ligh7

How to change the icon in system tray
« on: May 26, 2024, 07:57:52 PM »

Saw someone has changed the icon in the system tray. I can only change the icon for the shortcuts with the .ico file. How should I change the icon for the avast executable itself?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re: How to change the icon in system tray
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2024, 10:16:45 PM »
I don't think it's possible.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2024, 10:18:43 PM »
From Your screenshot it seems you have AVG and Avira installed ……. and the old blue rotating avast icon?

Why Using Multiple Antivirus Programs is a Bad Idea
https://www.kaspersky.com/blog/multiple-antivirus-programs-bad-idea/2670/

« Last Edit: May 26, 2024, 10:20:56 PM by Pondus »

Offline Ligh7

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2024, 12:10:10 AM »
From Your screenshot it seems you have AVG and Avira installed ……. and the old blue rotating avast icon?

Why Using Multiple Antivirus Programs is a Bad Idea
https://www.kaspersky.com/blog/multiple-antivirus-programs-bad-idea/2670/

Don't worry that's not what I'm doing. Someone else doing that, but successfully changed the system tray icon for avast. I just don't know how.
Actually she/he has done something more

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2024, 01:07:46 AM »
<snip quote>

Don't worry that's not what I'm doing. Someone else doing that, but successfully changed the system tray icon for avast. I just don't know how.
<snip image>

Well, Igor is a senior Avast Team member and if he thinks it isn't possible.

Even if it were I believe you would have to disable the avast self-defence module, find the Avast system tray Icon and replace it with another .ico (presumably) file with the same name in the same location.  Even then I don't see what purpose it would serve other than change for changes sake.  I also don't know if you would also lose the settings available when you right click the tray icon.

If that isn't your system tray display, then it isn't actually helpful.  I have mine on display so it is easy to access on the right of the Task Bar.
If they ave achieved it, perhaps you should ask them.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.5.6116 (build 24.5.9153.762) UI 1.0.808/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Cluster-Lizard2014

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2024, 02:06:27 AM »
You may be able do this with Resource Hacker but I've never used it to change a system tray icon or had any software where when I've used it to change the primary icon group it actually changed that as well.

Usually icons come as part of a group with a minimum recognised file set from 16x16 8bit up to 256x256 32bit so you'd need a graphics program that can create an icon group. It is likely that the AVAST tray icon is of specific size and this can change with the screen resolution/any display magnification size setting ie. 100%/125%/150%.

There can also be a number of icon sub-groups used for specific purposes within the main program.

So you'd probably, somehow, need to find out where that specific tray icon group is located and change it for an equivalent replacement group.

Too much hassle if you ask me and as long as it is not rotating the AVAST tray icon is inoffensive so I wouldn't bother.   

Oh yes, I should mention that Resource Hacker itself is usually flagged as potentially dangerous, exploitable software and AVAST may not respond well to you trying to use it.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2024, 02:27:49 PM by Cluster-Lizard2014 »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2024, 09:21:10 AM »
Wat I meant was "I don't think you can change the icon in Avast file". I believe there's no standalone Avast icon file, the icon is inside one of the binary (or even executable) modules - so if you were to modify the file, you'd corrupt the digital signature of the file, so you most likely would have to disable (and keep disabled) Avast self-defense, and you may also have to disable Microsoft Antimalware process protection (plus, if you want to have a rotation icon, you'd need to have a new icon with all the rotating positions)... I don't think it's really worth it. Furthermore, unless you'd add an "external" signature to the folder, Avast installer/updater would probably revert the change rather soon.

Can't rule out the possibility that there exists a tool that can control tray icons (put its own there, and forward the mouse-triggered messages to the original application)... don't know, just speculating.

Offline Ligh7

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2024, 10:40:47 AM »
<snip quote>

<snip image>

Even if it were I believe you would have to disable the avast self-defence module, find the Avast system tray Icon and replace it with another .ico (presumably) file with the same name in the same location.  Even then I don't see what purpose it would serve other than change for changes sake.  I also don't know if you would also lose the settings available when you right click the tray icon.

If that isn't your system tray display, then it isn't actually helpful.  I have mine on display so it is easy to access on the right of the Task Bar.

Thank you for the reply.
I have asked the original poster but not getting answered yet. I think I will be patient and wait for longer time.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2024, 11:00:51 AM »
<snip quote>

<snip image>

Thank you for the reply.
I have asked the original poster but not getting answered yet. I think I will be patient and wait for longer time.

You're welcome.
Igor's latest reply #6 above your, gives a lot more detail as to the potential issues.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.5.6116 (build 24.5.9153.762) UI 1.0.808/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Ligh7

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2024, 11:13:23 AM »
Just an update:
No, I can't get an answer from the original poster, they are not willing to share. They used some excuses a little bit humiliating.

Also, thank you so much for the answers by Cluster-Lizard2014 and Igor at #5 and #6
« Last Edit: May 28, 2024, 01:13:42 PM by Ligh7 »