Author Topic: cannot use email with Avast VPN enabled  (Read 1236 times)

Offline W Michael

cannot use email with Avast VPN enabled
« on: July 04, 2024, 11:23:41 AM »
Cannot log in to email accounts with Avast VPN enabled.

Turn off VPN everything works fine.

Offline afroche

Re: cannot use email with Avast VPN enabled
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2024, 10:58:23 PM »
I am having a similar issue.  It developed recently.  If I started up my computer and opened a browser, I used to be able to connect to the internet with VPN enabled.  Now, I cannot.  I must first connect to the internet with VPN disabled and subsequently I can connect VPN.  Moreover, with some sites, such as GMail, Google Calendar, and Facebook, I frequently get disconnected when VPN is on. My only recourse is to disable VPN and refresh the pages with VPN off.

Offline William H2

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2024, 11:01:35 PM »
I have a similar problem with my local printer.  If VPN is enabled, I cannot print.  I can PING the printer, but print goes to the queue.  I can disable VPN, then print jobs will be successful if i "restart" them.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2024, 11:37:00 PM »
Some sites will actively block VPNs no matter which one as they will detect the IP used as used heavily (typically a VPN).  The BBC is typical of that if you aren't a UK license payer, it seems to be able to detect those using a VPN to connect.

I would say when it comes to security, such as connecting to your email client they want to ensure it is the legit user. As the VPN hides the originating IP.

I have never felt the need to use a VPN, so I can't speak from personal experience. 
Presumably they have a means to disable for certain sites ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free  24.8.6127 (build 24.8.9372.862) UI 1.0.814/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline ondrej.m

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2024, 01:15:03 PM »
I have a similar problem with my local printer.  If VPN is enabled, I cannot print.  I can PING the printer, but print goes to the queue.  I can disable VPN, then print jobs will be successful if i "restart" them.

Please verify if "local device access" is enabled in the settings. (Menu > Settings > General) If that won't help I suggest reaching out to Avast support with additional technical details.

Offline ondrej.m

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2024, 01:21:08 PM »
Cannot log in to email accounts with Avast VPN enabled.

Turn off VPN everything works fine.

I would suggest checking the steps in our Troubleshooting for sending emails when connected via Avast SecureLine VPN -  https://support.avast.com/en-us/article/troubleshoot-secureline-vpn-email