Author Topic: Is Avast Secure Browser making itself the default browser?  (Read 950 times)

Offline Matt27

Is Avast Secure Browser making itself the default browser?
« on: July 07, 2024, 05:17:44 PM »
I'm using Mozilla Firefox as my default browser but I cannot to stay as my default.
If I click on a web link in an email in Outlook, it will open in Avast Secure Browser rather than Firefox.
If I reset Firefox as the default, it falls off 5 minutes later. This has been happening for a couple of weeks now despite having both Firefox and Avast running happily alongside one another for many years now.

I am not blaming Avast here, I am only asking the question: Seeing as the links from Outlook are opening in Avast rather than Firefox, is Avast doing something behind the scenes to continually override the Firefox default browser setting?

Offline Kreed

Re: Is Avast Secure Browser making itself the default browser?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2024, 08:33:24 PM »
 Hi Matt,

Your not alone, the Avast Browser keeps forcing itself to be the default browser on my computer as well. So far I have found that if I even open it once to do something when previously using another browser set as default. It will overide that setting automatically, the next time I go back to the other browser it is no longer the default. It seems to be doing this the last several weeks.

I find it interesting that you have found its Outlook as a possible trigger for the issue. I am going to try and see if  thats what also triggers mine.

I myself, have filtered through the settings and cannot find where to turn it off from doing this.

And for you knuckle heads who say you must be clicking on pop up to set as default. THIS IS NOT THE CASE... There is no pop up... I  am not making the choice set Avast to the default browser setting..
Same goes for giving the instructions to go manually to select your default browser... What part do you not understand ? Avast is automatically over riding to become the default browser no matter if another Browser is already pre set.

Either way if it doesnt get fixed there is a real solution that always works , it called uninstall Avast Browser.