Author Topic: BUG in Avast installation process  (Read 319 times)

Offline Lost Horizon

BUG in Avast installation process
« on: July 19, 2024, 10:42:30 AM »
Hi,

I think I may have found a BUG in Avast installation process (NOT with Avast itself). Here goes:

I installed Avast Free Antivirus 24.6 (offline) on July 12th at approximately 10:02PM. Everything worked and checked out great with Avast until I have to pay my bills the next day. I have a folder that I created to install all 3rd party software on my computer to at the root level (let's say "\Installed Software", for example), and under that folder I have a whole bunch of category sub-folders that I install the 3rd party software to - in this case Avast would be installed to "\Installed Software\Antivirus\Avast".

First of all, FYI, my laptop is brand new and it's installed with Windows 11 OS in S mode that I just switched out of recently, so the only non-Microsoft program installed on it is Avast.

Since I haven't finished moving all my files over from the old laptop and I don't want to create a whole bunch of temporary folders at the root level so I temporarily store some of my files to the "\Installed Software" folder and its sub-folders (let's say "\Installed Software\Documents-1, \Installed Software\Documents-2 ...", for examples). Like I wrote above, everything works fine until I have to pay my bills that is when I need to update my files that I use to keep track of the bill payment information and I found out that I couldn't update/save them.

At first, I thought that there might be something wrong with my computer, but upon further investigation I found out that all of my file/folder permissions starting at the top level which is "\Installed Software" have been changed and I only have read & execute permissions, and when I click on the Security tab, this is what I get:

ALL APPLICATION PACKAGES
ALL RESTRICTED APPLICATION PACKAGES
SYSTEM
Administrators (<ComputerName>\Administrators)
Users (<ComputerName>\Users)

I could have reset the folder/file permissions in the Command Prompt window but I want to thoroughly check out the problem so I uninstalled Avast to be sure, but the problem still existed. So the next thing that I did is to restore my computer to the restore point that I've created just before I installed Avast. That fixed the problem but NOT TOTALLY since all of my folders starting from the root level (that is "\Installed Software") went back to the way they were before I installed Avast but sadly enough MOST of my files ARE NOT so I have to reset them manually in Command Prompt window.

Hopefully this problem can be fixed before the next officially released version.

Thank You.

P.S.: I've been Avast user for a very long time since Windows XP and this has never happened before. I'm surprised that NOBODY has even awared of the problem before.

Offline Lost Horizon

Re: BUG in Avast installation process
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2024, 11:32:31 AM »
Hi,

To be CLEAR, this problem only occurs in folder/directory tree branch with Avast installed. I have other folders created in different tree branches from the root level and they're NOT AFFECTED.

(May be this has something to do with Avast self-defense mechanism so malware/users can't do anything to the software. Of course, this is just my guess - if so, then apply/impose file/folder permission changes to the Avast installed folder only, NOT to its parent or siblings in the folder/directory tree branch).