Author Topic: Norton silently becoming Avast!?  (Read 479 times)

Online NON

• Japanese User
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Whatever will be, will be.
Norton silently becoming Avast!?
« on: September 09, 2024, 01:49:45 PM »
A topic on the Japanese forum and some local BBS topics suggests that Norton is now becoming almost identical software to Avast, like AVG does.

Point 1: Process name
According to the forum topic, a user claiming using Norton has these processes:
AvDump.exe, aswEngSrv.exe, afwServ.exe, VpnSvc.exe, aswidsagent.exe, NortonSvc.exe, nllToolsSvc.exe, NortonUI.exe

And these process names matches with Avast's:
AvDump.exe, aswEngSrv.exe, afwServ.exe, VpnSvc.exe, aswidsagent.exe, AvastSvc.exe, aswToolsSvc.exe, AvastUI.exe

Naming difference of asw/nll could be interpreted as follows: asw could means Avast Software, while nll means NortonLifeLock

Point 2: Version schema
A post of BBS says their latest version of Norton has a version number of "24.7.9311.859",  that matches with Avast's.
Previously, they (Norton) uses following version schema: "22.24.7.8", that is different with Avast's.

Point 3: Smart scan
A user claimed that new version of Norton suggests to buy something for "Advanced issues" after running "Smart scan" (like Avast does), while previous version does not.

Point 4: Mail signature
The original issue with the OP of the topic is, their mail has signature like "Secured by Avast" like Avast does, while they don't have Avast installed.

I never imagined this would happen. Rather, I thought it would be the opposite (although not for my taste).
If that's true, it's quite interesting to see Norton becoming Avast, but also understandable as Avast has far more user-base than Norton has.
I hope these migrations go well and also contribute to its Quality, as almost all Norton users are paid ones.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2024, 02:04:06 PM by NON »
Desktop: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-7400 3.0GHz / 32GB RAM / Avast Premium Beta(Icarus) / Comodo Firewall
Notebook: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-3340M 2.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast Free / Windows Firewall Control
Server: Win11 Pro 23H2 64bit / Core i3-4010U 1.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast One Essential

Avast の設定について解説しています。よろしければご覧ください。

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Norton silently becoming Avast!?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2024, 02:20:18 PM »
I'm not too surprised by that - you don't pay out a lot money if you haven't got good reason.  Norton, from days long ago wasn't thought to be anything more than a pain in the rear.

Companies generally buy out companies because they have something that they haven't got and a revamp of your own product must be high on the list.  As you say many thought this would be Avast absorbed into Norton, but that didn't happen. Norton has taken the better bits and incorporated (not invisibly) them into Norton.

But then along came Gen Digital and swallowed that as well, but I'm unsure if they are anything than a big shell:
Quote from: Extract
Our family of consumer brands
Explore the consumer brands who make us uniquely powerful as ...

Quote from: Extract
What does Gen Digital do?
Now, Gen empowers people to live their digital lives safely, privately, and confidently today and for generations to come. We bring award-winning products and services in cybersecurity, online privacy and identity protection to nearly 500 million users in more than 150 countries.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security