Author Topic: Mailsafe & Avast  (Read 8604 times)

Pandy

Mailsafe & Avast
« on: March 15, 2004, 12:55:52 AM »
 :DHi,

I was made aware that mailsafe, which comes with EZ Firewall and Avast could conflict with each other when scanning e-mails. I'm wondering if anybody could let me know if this is true. I'm running Windows XP, if that's important. I haven't noticed any problems. Avast did catch a Win32 Beagle infected e-mail and deleted it successfully. I just don't like to take it for granted that all is well when a possibility exists that there could be a problem. If anyone has an answer I would appreciate the help. Thank you muchly.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Mailsafe & Avast
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2004, 02:10:44 AM »
Pandy, I did a search on the forums but I could not found any topic of EZ Firewall (I'm confused or it has another name besides this one?).

Of course the firewall could bring troubles to the antivirus and vice-versa... But as you are working well I think it's ok.

Did you test your firewall? Is it working?

Wellcome to forums  ;)
The best things in life are free.

Pandy

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2004, 02:35:44 AM »
Actually, EZ Firewall is from Zonealarm. My firewall seems to be functioning fine. Thank-you for the welcome. I'm wondering if I should disable either Avast e-mail scanning or the mailsafe.  

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2004, 03:03:35 AM »
Actually, EZ Firewall is from Zonealarm. My firewall seems to be functioning fine. Thank-you for the welcome. I'm wondering if I should disable either Avast e-mail scanning or the mailsafe.  

Oh I said that there were another name...
I think it won't be a problem if the mailsafe feature works only with attachments, isn't it? You can have a spam killer that block unwanted emails or, at least, prevent their downloading without your permission (like Spamihilator). You can be informed of the presence of a specific email and then download it or delete it in the server (without downloading).  ;)

Btw, I use ZA for years and works great with avast!  ;D
The best things in life are free.

Pandy

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2004, 03:14:48 AM »
OK Great. Thanks for your help. I'll keep on as I have been. I just wanted to make sure everything was OK.  ;)

Pandy

Iso-G

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2004, 08:48:09 PM »
Hello Pandy,

Are you using eTrust with avast! together ?
I am sorry if I am miss understanding.

Iso-G

Pandy

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2004, 09:04:12 PM »
Hello, I'm using EZ Firewall with Avast AV. EZ Firewall is from eTrust ( I think ). I don't use the AV from eTrust, only the firewall. Mailsafe is an e-mail scanner that is included with EZ Firewall. :)

Pandy

CoJo

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2004, 09:37:34 PM »
Hello, I'm using EZ Firewall with Avast AV. EZ Firewall is from eTrust ( I think ). I don't use the AV from eTrust, only the firewall. Mailsafe is an e-mail scanner that is included with EZ Firewall. :)

Pandy

Pandy, I was using EZFirewall when it was offered through Computer Associates. It was part of a package of av, mail,  and firewall that was free for one year.
I did not like the way my system reacted with it so went with ZA free firewall instead.

good luck,
cojo

Pandy

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2004, 12:57:21 AM »
Hey Cojo, Yes, that sounds like the deal I've got. CA, that's right. What kind of trouble did you have? Today my  Avast deleted Win32:Trojan.gen. A second scan showed no viruses. Oh man, I don't want to go through getting a new firewall again. I hope I don't have to resort to that.

CoJo

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2004, 01:19:05 AM »
Hey Cojo, Yes, that sounds like the deal I've got. CA, that's right. What kind of trouble did you have? Today my  Avast deleted Win32:Trojan.gen. A second scan showed no viruses. Oh man, I don't want to go through getting a new firewall again. I hope I don't have to resort to that.

Hi Pandy!
my system was slooowwww and it didn't do a good job...thank God for Avast!
I got tired of too much getting by the firewall... >:(  so got ZA and it's been doing a good job.
Maybe you just need to tweak the settings on the EZGuard...

good luck!

cojo

Pandy

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2004, 01:30:29 AM »
Thanks CoJo, I'll check my settings out... again. :o

P

CoJo

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2004, 01:46:06 AM »
Thanks CoJo, I'll check my settings out... again. :o

P

Pandy...I know how you feel! That's why I finally changed--got tired of tweaking ;D

cojo