Author Topic: Newbie questions  (Read 2783 times)

VikingBabe

Newbie questions
« on: February 04, 2008, 02:32:03 PM »
I just installed AVAST Home Free to replace the Norton 2006 90 day trial (that was running out) which came with my new Dell Inspiron 530.  Ordered it from the company with WinXP Home SP2 installed (VISTA is still teething I read). 

In the past, I used to use AVG Free in previous computers but decided to try AVAST Home this time.  I have used Ad Aware for years and currently use Ad Aware 2007.  So I am asking some very "newbie dumb" questions.  (knowing there are never any dumb questions to begin with.

After installing AVAST Home Free, I left all the settings pretty much alone.  Right now the icon says I am "On Access Scanner: 7 providers of 6 running". 

My question is I am really not sure which ones are needed more over others.  If I should disable or just customize some parts. 

Living in a very rural area, I have used a local dial up email provider for years.  They use McAfee "Postini" to filter, scan and catch all incoming spam/junk and possible viruses that go through it before coming to me.  I keep the settings on very high.   Do I still need the extra AVAST "Internet email /Outlook exchange" kept enabled?       

Lately, I had Wild Blue Satellite installed for it's faster usage browsing while online.  However, I kept my dial up provider for a number of practical reasons as backup.  It allows my email to be downloaded but I still have to send through my dial up.  Weird but that's the way it is.

As I am not "networked" to any other computer, is it all right to disable the AVAST "P2P" provider?  I do not use any of the listed programs to download anything.   

I use Firefox for my browser and use the "McAfee SiteAdvisor" plug in.  I am very careful where I go online.   In the "Web Shield" and inside "Basic" there is "Enable Web scanning" and "Use Intelligent stream scanning".  Which would be better or stick with both on.

Lastly, which free firewall program works better with AVAST?  The only thing I miss about the Norton 2006 was it did have it's own Firewall. 

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

philly12

Re: Newbie questions
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 04:06:34 PM »
you wouldnt need the P2P shield if your not using a P2P (aka peer to peer) program such as limewire, kazaa, etc, but I don't think it will take up any extra resources (although i could be wrong).  I think it would be a good idea to leave both web scanners on, but if u think it is slowing your computer too much you might want to change them to normal instead of high settings. 

All of the following firewalls seem to work well with avast, but i am sure that there are others that are compatable as well: zone alarm free, comodo, Pc Tools firewall. 

gery

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 04:19:30 PM »
as far as the firewall i would suggest COMODO PRO 3 . IT IS THE BEST OUT THERE and it plays very well with AVAST.I dont know an exact ansswer for the settings of the providers but i would let them all run.

Spiritsongs

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 09:35:33 PM »
 :)  Hi "Viking" :

After reading your Post in our "General Topics" Forum, I am reluctant to
     ask but we do have Problems with former Norton Users who have NOT
     run the "Norton Removal Tool", available at several Sites; have you done
     so !?
     As a former "Helper" on the Lavasoft Ad-Aware Support Forums, I and
     many of the former "Experts" on those Forums no longer recommend
     Ad-aware, since it is no longer a TOP antiSPYWARE program; you would
     be better off using the FREE Version of "SUPERAntiSpyware" from
     www.superantispyware.com .
     As to a firewall, assuming you are interested in a "FREE" One, I recommend
     either Zone Alarm, Sunbelt Kerio or Sygate, all available from
     www.filehippo.com/software/firewalls ; I NEVER recommend Comodo,
     partly because of the company's shady past AND have heard it is very
     difficult to COMPLETELY REMOVE IF One becomes dissatified with it .
     As to your McAfee "Site Advisor" : they have had at least 1 very serious
     lapse in Security . Some on this Forum recommend "Finjan", available at
     http://securebrowsing.finjan.com/index.html and/or "Linkscanner" at
     http://linkscanner.explabs.com/linkscanner/default.asp  .

VikingBabe

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 08:26:24 AM »
To Spiritsongs

Yes, I did my homework, thoroughly, before attempting to uninstall the Norton 2006 90 day trial.  Downloaded the Norton Removal Tool first.   Used it to remove any remains/clean the registry after manually removing Norton, Symantec, LiveUpdates through "Add/Remove" first.  Then went back over my program files to check again...just in case.  Went to Program files/common files to remove Symantec Shared folder. Then checked "My Documents" and removed the final Symantec folder there too.

I mention all these steps for any other Norton user to see. The tool could have done this all instead but it's my own mind to be at ease with.

I used AdAwareSE for years and was very unhappy when I found out it was not being supported anymore.  Thank you for the alternative anti spyware program suggestion.  In the past, I have used Spybot Search&Destroy in conjunction with the former AdAwareSE. Running one after the other to clean up anything the other might miss. 

Some user reviews did mention Commodo did have a shady past at one time.  But did not know it might not uninstall completely down the road.  So will look into the others instead. I would prefer buying full programs but money is tight.  So, until then, free ones will have to do.   

I chose McAfee, at the time, because it was offered as a Firefox plug in.  In my past computers, I used IE exclusively.  When using search engines, most sites are fine for what I am looking for.  But there is always the "undiscovered country".  After 10 years being online, you do get burned occasionally... but learn quickly to go as well "armed" as possible.  I will check those too.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 08:42:08 AM by VikingBabe »

Offline oldman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Some days..... MOS...this bug's for you
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 08:40:59 AM »
After installing AVAST Home Free, I left all the settings pretty much alone.  Right now the icon says I am "On Access Scanner: 7 providers of 6 running". 

My question is I am really not sure which ones are needed more over others.  If I should disable or just customize some parts. 

Definately needed, standard shield,  web shield, internet web mail (outlook express), should leave on- network shield.

Optional to leave-P2P unless if, as already mentioned you use those types of programs and Instant messeneger if you use messengers of any kind.

The Outlook/Exchange is the mail scanner for outlook (it's the one provider shown as not running), it won't run unless you use outlook (not outlook express).

The debate is split if you use any resources by leaving the providers enabled but not using them.

VikingBabe

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 11:52:02 AM »
For the time being, I installed Zone Alarm Free for the firewall after doing some research reading. 

I went ahead and disabled AVAST P2P too.  Everything else is up and running.