Author Topic: About virus samples submission  (Read 2994 times)

gjmveloso

About virus samples submission
« on: February 08, 2008, 12:27:16 AM »
After latest Av-Test.org test I want to test avast! again. In 2005 I use the program and don`t like so much. Now I see a good UI and sdandard detection rates. And avast! surely are the best free antivirus program!

I hunt a lot of viruses every day and I want to help Alwil improve detection rates of (Brazilian) Banker trojans. What is the best way to send virus samples to Alwil? Some project of automated-web-submission tool?

Best regards

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: About virus samples submission
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 12:33:29 AM »
Currently these are the only methods of submission. Though uploading to virustotal for scanning should see VT send samples not detected to participating AVs. VirusTotal - Multi engine on-line virus scanner and report the findings here. I feel virustotal is the better option as it uses the windows version of avast (more packers supported) and there are currently over 30 different scanners.

Send the sample to virus@avast.com zipped and password protected with the password in email body, a link to this topic might help and undetected malware in the subject.

Or you can also add the file to the User Files (File, Add) section of the avast chest where it can do no harm and send it from there (select the file, right click, email to Alwil Software). No need to zip and PW protect when the sample is sent from chest. A copy of the file/s will remain in the original location, so any further action you take can remove that.

There are plans to improve the submission method with a later avast version, though no date is given.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD - 27" external monitor 1440p 2560x1440 resolution - avast! free  24.9.6130 (build 24.9.9452.762) UI 1.0.818/ Firefox, uBlock Origin Lite, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security