Author Topic: Adobe Reader silently patched - 61% users still vulnerable!  (Read 6118 times)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Adobe Reader silently patched - 61% users still vulnerable!
« on: February 09, 2008, 09:52:19 PM »
Hi malware fighters,

Not a good patch policy, but to be secure with Adobe Reader, patch with this download:
http://ardownload.adobe.com/pub/adobe/acrobat/win/8.x/8.1.2/misc/AcrobatUpd812_all_incr.msp

polonus

Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
    • Don't Surf in the Nude!
Re: Adobe Reader silently patched - 61% users still vulnerable!
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 10:20:54 PM »
Hackers Exploit Adobe Reader Flaw

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/
     Bambleweeny 57 sub-meson brain     Don't Surf in the Nude Blog

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 10:27:54 PM »
Hi FwF,

Right on, cybercriminals are actively abusing this hole momentarily by sending a malicious pdf, but the Adobe Reader updater does not take you there automatically, that is why I served up the download link. I trust you have already applied the patch, and others better follow suit,

pol

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 11:20:14 PM »
Is anyone still using Adobe Reader ??? ::)

I use Foxit Reader.  Foxit Reader is lighter, faster, better & safer than Adobe Reader.

I can't believe anyone is still using Adobe Reader. ??? ::)

But then I can't believe anyone is still using IE. ??? ::) Are they???  Say it ain't so. ::)

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 11:52:33 PM »
Hi rdmaloyjr,

Yes a lot of people do, because "it came with their computer", and they cannot think outside these parameters. We do, but actually there are lot of people that only use IE because "that is the way to go to the Internet". Not to speak about all the other free open software alternatives. I am afraid you are right if the Matrix Agents repeat enough: "This is your reality" there are millions of sheeple for which that becomes  a fact. Sad but true,

polonus

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2008, 12:14:47 AM »
Hi Polonus,

You are exactly right!  Many don't know what a browser is.  I ask them which browser are they using and they don't know what I mean.  IE comes with Windows, they don't know there are better alternatives.

The same with Adobe Reader.  I didn't know there were alternatives to Adobe Reader till last year when my copy of Adobe Reader became corrupt and couldn't open pdf files.  That's when I learned of Foxit.

Since I've been with Foxit, I've never looked back. ;D

My comments about users of IE & Adobe Reader were directed at those that should know better.

I can understand people using FF for the extentions.  I'll open FF for something I can't do in Opera, when I'm finished that task I'm impatient to get back to Opera. ;D   Fortunately I rarely need to open FF.  :)

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Ideas, that's ocean without borders!
    • Bohemia Interactive
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 08:49:55 PM »
No anti-virus vendors currently detect the malicious PDF files. This type of exploit can be used in Web browser and email attack vectors.

anyone from Alwil can comment on this ? any chance for detection ?
https://twitter.com/FoltynD , Tech. Community, Online Services & Distribution manager of Bohemia Interactive

philly12

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2008, 08:54:41 PM »
omg i absolutely hate adobe reader.  I have foxit reader and i love it.  It loads up SOOOOO fast and it is VERY lightweight.

Offline FreewheelinFrank

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • I'm a GNU
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2008, 08:36:26 PM »
Adobe Reader Trojan predates mystery update by two weeks

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02/11/adobe_reader_exploit/

Unlike earlier reports, this issue is now known to affect practically the entire population of Adobe users who aren’t running version 8.1.2.

http://sunbeltblog.blogspot.com/2008/02/adobe-pdf-exploit.html

Gouveia

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2008, 07:29:40 PM »
Hi FwF,

Right on, cybercriminals are actively abusing this hole momentarily by sending a malicious pdf, but the Adobe Reader updater does not take you there automatically, that is why I served up the download link. I trust you have already applied the patch, and others better follow suit,

pol
You mean that they are hacking inside PCs with Adobe? Sorry if it's a dumb question, I don't know too much about hacking :P

@rdmaloyjr: Indeed. Foxit and Firefox are lighter than the counterparts, and Google Docs is better than Office.(at least in my opinion)

Staind

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2008, 03:56:40 AM »
omg i absolutely hate adobe reader.  I have foxit reader and i love it.  It loads up SOOOOO fast and it is VERY lightweight.

I have the Foxit reader pro and it is excellent! I had Adobe Pro (trial) and tried to uninstall, but it corrupted while uninstalling. Now I can't fully remove it and I can't reinstall it.  It further messed up my computer as anything which had the Adobe extension in it would freeze up / crash (Office 2007) so I had to go through and delete the add-in.

Never use the software if you can avoid it.

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2008, 03:37:37 PM »

I have the Foxit reader pro and it is excellent! I had Adobe Pro (trial) and tried to uninstall, but it corrupted while uninstalling. Now I can't fully remove it and I can't reinstall it.  It further messed up my computer as anything which had the Adobe extension in it would freeze up / crash (Office 2007) so I had to go through and delete the add-in.

Never use the software if you can avoid it.
My copy of Adobe Reader became corrupted (reply #5 above) and couldn't open pdf files so I uninstalled it.  I had problems getting it totally uninstalled.  Adobe FAQ said to use Windows Installer CleanUp Utility.  It worked. :)