Author Topic: Firefox cookies?  (Read 3808 times)

jediping

Firefox cookies?
« on: February 12, 2008, 04:42:47 PM »
I just installed the home edition last night. (Haven't registered, since I'm still trying it out.) This morning, I had a weird problem when I went to check my email. Despite my browser settings allowing cookies to be set, they weren't being saved. The only thing I could think of is that somehow Avast isn't letting them be saved. Is this a known issue? Is there something I can do to fix it? I loves my Firefox, but I don't know much about Avast, so I don't know where to begin to find an answer. (The knowledge base didn't seem to have anything relevant, but I might just be using the wrong search terms.)

philly12

Re: Firefox cookies?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 05:02:36 PM »
avast shouldn't get rid of your cookies at all.  What other programs have you run that may be the culprit?  Also, click tools then options and then the privacy tab and make sure the accept cookies from sites is checked and its set up to keep until they expire (not until firefox is closed). 

jediping

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 06:47:28 PM »
Yep, I checked the cookie settings and rechecked them. I can't figure out what else would be a culprit, because I haven't changes anything but uninstalling Norton and installing Avast.

philly12

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 07:06:15 PM »
well maybe norton is the problem.  Have you installed it using norton's supports own tool or just its own uninstaller from your computer?  Norton can only be FULLY uninstalled by running its uninstaller program downloaded from this site (norton's own support site so dont worry about it being a bad download):
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 07:07:59 PM by philly12 »

jediping

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 07:19:54 PM »
I used the "remove program" option from the computer, which ran the Norton uninstaller. I'll check out the download, though, but it looked to my untrained eyes like everything was gone.

philly12

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 09:01:56 PM »
nope it didnt, trust me.  It left behind many registry values and other junk.  The only way to truly remove it is through that link i gave you (norton removal tool)

jediping

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 09:07:35 PM »
Thanks! I'll take a look at it and see if it'll fix the problem.

CharleyO

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2008, 09:09:06 AM »

And you may need to run the Norton removal tool twice because sometime on the first try it does not remove all that needs to be remove. To be sure, just run the removal tool twice.

VikingBabe

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2008, 09:17:11 AM »
You might want to check this article out:
Symantec uninstaller may not finish the job

Earlier this month, I uninstalled my Norton 2006 90 day trial that came with my new Dell Inspiron 530 ordered with WinXP Home.  Only had a few days left and decided to replace it with AVAST Free.  I knew Norton is a pain to uninstall completely so did some research to root it all out.

First, I downloaded AVAST Free but did not open it yet.  Then downloaded the Norton Removal Tool but did not use it yet.  Went offline to uninstall the Norton and install the AVAST after these steps:

I went into "Add/Remove Programs" to manually remove Norton/Symantec/LiveUpDate programs.
Closed and rebooted.

Then ran the Norton Removal Tool...which was supposed to have deleted their files/folders in my Program Files and anything else Norton/Symantec deposited (including in the registry).  The Removal Tool will take out a bunch of stuff .....but not all and you may have to run it again. 

Although the Removal Tool took out the Symantec/Norton folders in Program Files. Just to make sure, I went into my Program Files to check anyway....and found these were removed.   BUT in Program Files/Common files the Symantec shared folder was still there.  So I deleted this.   I checked "My Documents" and found the Symantec folder still there and deleted it

Closed and rebooted.  While still off line, I opened the AVAST and installed it.  Then followed the steps to get the key to register with.

I read about Comodo but decided to use Zone Alarm Free Firewall instead. So far,  have had no incompatibility problems with it and AVAST.  It is very user friendly "Firewall".