Author Topic: win32: trojan (gen) and grokster  (Read 6652 times)

bearclaw37

win32: trojan (gen) and grokster
« on: March 19, 2004, 08:43:48 PM »
 ???
Hello.  I have been using avast for about 4 months now.  I have not had any problems and have found it to be a better program compared to the one i used to use; norton antivirus.  However the last two weeks or so i have been having problems either with my computer, the program grokster or maybe the antivirus????

I had grokster on and all of a sudden, avast pops up saying there is a virus on my computer.  I tried to repair it, but that did not work, so i deleted it.  The next time i tried to open the program, i get a screen saying that a part of grokster has been deleted a will not work, please  redownload it.  So i download again and again etc, and while im redownloading it i get about 2-3 different warnings from avast which says that i have a virus, i try to repair them but it won't work, so i delete them.  still this does not help and i still have the same problem and can not open grokster.  

I have contacted grokster for support but the only advice i got was to tell my antivirus to accept cydoor(for grokster) and shut my adware off.  i have ad-aware installed on my computer but it only runs when i do a scan.  the antivirus cannot be programed (that i know of) to accept certain programs.

I have read a few topics in these postings but have not found a solution that i am aware of.  I have tried to run the antivirus scan in safe mode which said i had a virus in
c:\windows\temp\trz1465.tmp
i tried to repair it, didnt work so i deleted it.  After the scan, it said that the file was succesfully deleted.  When i restarted the computer, avast still said i had a virus, which i keep deleting but still pops up from time to time.  when irun avast in normal  mode it does not detect anything.  Also i would deleted all spy/ad ware in my ad-aware program except that i have like 200-300 files to deleted and have no idea which ones to start with since i have tried to quarintin and delete everything before which resulted in not being able to open anything including my internet explore until i restored them.

Could someone please help me??? this is driving me crazy.  i asked grokster if it was possible that maybe they had some virus or something but they have yet to respond, which was like 5 days ago!!!

my computer is windows xp and everything is all upto date that i know of.  i never had a problem between avast and grokster before until now.

please reply in simply language as i am not to great with computer temnology or how to fix them.

thanks!!

whocares

Re:win32: trojan (gen) and grokster
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2004, 10:38:20 PM »
Hi,

your grokster obviously installs some adware or spyware on your PC:

either you don't use grokster any more (alternative: kazaa Lite)
or
you configure avast mainscanner & resident Shield to exclude the relevant Grokster/adware files from scanning. Search through the options/program help for this

please give us more info, which virus/trojan was found, and where (full path/folder/filename); see avast's report/log

bearclaw37

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2004, 02:01:21 AM »
hi, ok here are the two that come up when i try to install grokster:

c:\DOCUME*1\marcie\locals*1\temp\9pa03672adverck
c:\programfiles\myway\mybar\4.bin\npmyway.DLL

then after grokster closes it's self another warning comes up:

c:\programfiles\websearch\websearch1.exe

i know that grokster has always installed syware and adware but i have never had a problem with it before until now and i have ran avast even while i had grokster on, that's the puzzling part.
could you please tell me how to go into avast to allow the adware from grokster?  

also all that comes up is that it is a win32:trojan(gen) so i can not even search how to get rid of it

thanks, eagerly awaiting your response. :)

« Last Edit: March 20, 2004, 02:03:18 AM by bearclaw37 »

yodutch

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2004, 05:23:56 PM »
My eye fell on this thread after I added mine. One of the users on our network installed grokster, but I guess it's not grokster itself which is the problem, it's a virus/trojan which uses grokster.

As you can read in my thread it has spread across my network, so it's not only grokster.

bearclaw37

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2004, 11:55:19 PM »
I'm thinking that it is something with there web site.  I have never had a problem with grokster until now.  I am still waiting for a reponse from grokster.  I know they add spyware and adware in order to install the free version and they always have.  if you hear of anything let me know.