Author Topic: Avast updates have stopped working.  (Read 3363 times)

tep

Avast updates have stopped working.
« on: March 28, 2008, 08:05:28 PM »
After using Avast for several months the automatic updating function has suddenly stopped working, with the red Avast window informing of this. Also the manual updating functions do not seem to work.  Now my Security Centre is indicating that my virus protection is out of date. 

Can anybody advise how to overcome these issues.

Using:
Windows XP Home edition SP2.
Dell Dimension 5150 PC.
ZoneAlarm Firewall

Thanks in anticipation.

tep.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast updates have stopped working.
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 08:14:47 PM »
Basically, check the log files (or post the last 100 lines of the logs):
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\DATA\log\Setup.log
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup\setup.log

Also check:

1) If your subscription allows the update right now (i.e., if it is not expired). Home (free) version need registering each 14 months.
    I hope you haven't bought a license from a site on this list: http://www.avast.com/eng/fraudulent-sales-of-avast-products.html

Also, bad jollyroger.vpu file could contain banned registration keys with error and then update fails because of an invalid key. See how to download a new jollyroger.vpu, http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=27185.msg222148#msg222148.

2) If your firewall settings and allow avast.setup to connect.
    If you're not sure, just turn off your firewall (to be sure the update failure is not due to it).
    Maybe you should 'remove' avast.setup entry, try to update, receiving a new alert from the firewall, allowing it and checking it to remember.

3)  Check your proxy settings into avast!:
     Left click the avast icon > Settings
     Update (Basic) > Details > Proxy
     Make sure your browser is not set to "Work Offline" (this option is generally in the File menu).
     If it doesn't help, try switching from "Auto-detect" to "No proxy" (I'm assuming you're not connecting to the Internet via proxy).
The best things in life are free.

BPFLOYD

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 08:27:53 PM »
Are you using Webroots Spy Sweeper by chance ?
This caused me to have the same avast! red update error boxes and I also was not able to manually update.
If I went through avast! program setting to update, it would update.
After uninstalling and reinstalling avast!, working with tech support forever and after many months of trying to figure out why avast! would not update, my problem is finally solved.
I just figured out 5 minutes ago, it was Spy Sweeper causing the problem.
I unchecked Spy Sweeper so it would not startup when windows starts up and rebooted my computer.
I crossed my fingers and avast! gave me the good old blue box stating it updated !  :) YAY !

Good Luck !
« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 08:42:29 PM by BPFLOYD »

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 10:01:50 PM »
ZoneAlarm has a history of not properly understanding program updates and blocking programs that have been updated.

This may not be your case but it would be a simple and worthwhile check to remove the program permissions for avast in ZoneAlarm and allow them to be asked for again.

tep

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 11:18:57 PM »

Thank you Tech, BPFLOYD and alanrf for your replies. I will go through them and let you know how I get on.  I'm  a bit of an amateur so I will tread carefully.

Thanks again

pet